Gender-specific pronouns and so-called sexism

him or her   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:30 am GMT
I can't think of anything more annoying that the way the author of one of my textbooks constantly alternates between "she" and "he." It distracts me every time from focus on the material. And I thought that the "himself or herself" kind of construction was clumsy!

I think we should all go back to the generic "he" and leave English alone. A language should change naturally, not through an imposition of ridiculous, politically-correct rules.
Heshe   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 am GMT
Maybe the reason it bothers you is because you're sexist?
Yeshua   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:51 am GMT
I agree with the opener. Either go back to 'he' or use 'one', although I think lots of people would find that annoying too.
Jesus   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am GMT
I suggest we use only "she".
Kaliyuga   Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:07 am GMT
The thread about transsexuals comes to ones mind.
SigmondoFroido   Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:15 am GMT
<<The thread about transsexuals comes to ones mind. >>

That was a great thread.
Achab   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 am GMT
What about the "singular they"?

In my view, "he or she" is way clumbersome; "s/he" is just horrible, a veritable black eye for anything beautiful in the English language, and so is "she/he"; "she" is rather funny.

I'd go with "he", or the "singular they".

Anyway, whatever usage we choose, I think it's critically important to stick with it.

With every good wish,

Achab
Lazar   Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
I agree that an alternation like that would seem contrived. I would say that vernacular English has already given us a solution - singular "they".
Loxahatchee Luke   Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
<<What about the "singular they"? >>

I'd also vote for singular "they".
Stop feminazis   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 pm GMT
In Spanish it happens the same. Masculine always was the default gender but nowadays it is politically correct to use feminine alongside with masculine because it is considered macho supremacist to use masculine only to refer to a collective in which there are women as well( or transexuals for the matter). For example instead of vosotros( you all) now you have to say "vosotros y vosotras". This is crazy.
them   Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:14 pm GMT
<<For example instead of vosotros( you all) now you have to say "vosotros y vosotras". This is crazy. >>

Sounds like the RAE (or whatever language regulatory board has jurisdiction in your area) needs to introduce neutral pronouns (and nouns, too), analagous to singular "they" "them", "their", etc.
Scholar   Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:10 pm GMT
I propose:
vosotros: a group of men
vosotras: a group of women
vostotres: a group of women, males and transexuals.

But this would add more inflection to the Spanish language and may not be welcomen by Spanish students.
Kaliyuga   Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
But it may be welcomed by Spanish transsexuals.
Kaliyuga   Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:25 pm GMT
(Oh cool! Now you must speak French to post here. That should make greg happy.)
backgrounder   Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:08 pm GMT
<<But this would add more inflection to the Spanish language and may not be welcomen by Spanish students. >>

Spanish will be a greater language because of this. Having full 3-way gender support for pronouns and adjectives will give it a leg up on its archrival, French.