Formal vs Pompous

General   Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 am GMT
"Some writers, however, confuse a formal style with a pompous style. Compare a pompous sentence with the formal one.

Formal: You are invited to attend a brief meeting in Conference Room B at 11:30 to discuss the change in travel reimbursement policy and its effect on our division.

Pompous: A brief meeting will be held in Conference Room B to address the consequences and implications with regard to the adoption of new policies for travel reimbursement and associated issues and the effect of their implementation on our division."

I guess then I fall into that category of confused writers. Why on Earth is the popmous paragraph so?
Aardvark   Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 pm GMT
It seems to me that the "pompous" one is just more detailed.
General   Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
According to the software, one thing it entailed was the usage of more complicated terms such as "consequences and implications." psshhhtttt
Invité d'honneur   Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
Well, I don't think the problem of this sentence is its being too academic, it's just that IMHO it doesn't need to be that long and detailed.

For example:

"implications with regard to the adoption of new policies"
-> "implications of new policies"

"and associated issues"
-> It's vague and useless. Omit it.

"the effect of their implementation on our division"
-> "their effect on our divison"

But then again, I'm not a native speaker.
Uriel   Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
The second paragraph is major overkill, and a perfect case of never using one word where five will do the same job. That's what takes it beyond formal and into pompous.
7th guest   Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:31 pm GMT
Second paragraph is unnecessarily confusing.
Achab   Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:04 pm GMT
I think you can say to have pomp in a text or speech where some "grandeur" is brought in.

I'm not sure anything like that is detectable in the second paragraph. It's just waaaaay too formal.

Maybe over-formal, rather than pompous, is a better-fitting term to describe the way it reads.

Salvete atque valete omnes,

Achab
Uriel   Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:27 am GMT
Well, it becomes pompous because it is so overblown, to the point that it must be self-conscious, and not accidental. Perhaps that's hard for non-natives to discern, but it comes off that way to me.
Achab   Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:36 pm GMT
The pages of Antimoon, including this forum's threads, rank high in Google. Had you ever noticed that?

A search in such search engine on "pompous style" returns this exchange of ours as the third-to-appear result. Leave out the quotes and it will crop up even higher than that!

It's rather impressive, isn't it? Particularly if you take into accout that this thread has been in existence for just about two days so far.

By the way, here's a website all about pomp in language:

www.pompousasswords.com

And here's some thoughts by the incomparable William Hazlitt on the same topic:

www.grammar.about.com/od/rhetoricstyle/a/hazlittstyle.htm

With every good wish,

Achab
7heaven   Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:20 pm GMT
Pulchritudinous site, pompousasswords.
Hope Tom doesn't use the site to find word for his next question.
General   Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm GMT
lol