waht's better for learning vocab

Slobodan Milosevic   Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:40 pm GMT
What is a better method?

1. Exposing oneself to as many words as possible and spending less time on each one, and accepting that many of them will be forgotten, but thus enhancing the volume of material covered and increasing your chance of remembering them next time you see the word.

2. Spending more time on each word to ensure it is not forgotten. Slower, and less material is covered, but more is retained.

Your opinions?
Leasnam   Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
Neither in my opinion.

You would learn more and retain what you have learned if you forgo the rote memorization techniques of the past and opt rather for word association created by listening to others speaking to you, then conversation, also immersion (TV, radio, books, online, etc)
Slobodan Milosevic   Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:08 am GMT
Oops, let me clarify.

Both methods are carried out while reading books or watching movies, neither are just reading from a list or anything. I prefer the first method because I like to read at a reasonably pace, but I am constantly assaulted by words which I have already seen before and I find myself repeating multiple times the same word. The retention in all is quite low. On the other hand I think it would be difficult to go more slowly and give more attention to each word, because it would damage the enjoyment, but it could be more effective.

What are your opinions, what methods do you use when reading?
I tried to learn french,   Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 am GMT
There is a saying in english

"If you throw enough sh1t at a wall some of it is bound to stick"

Read and enjoy it.
Just read more.