Which languages are riding a wave of popularity?

European   Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:27 am GMT
Well, in my view lebanese are much more educated and open minded than most of their neighbours. Most of them can speak several languages: arabic, French English and they were far wealthier than other peoples in the area. Unfortunately Syria, Israel and other countries want to control their territory and destroy lebanese rich and cosmopolitan democracy
Khesh   Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:50 am GMT
<<Well, in my view lebanese are much more educated and open minded than most of their neighbours.>>

Hence they tend to learn foreign languages, which lessens the importance of their native language.

<<Most of them can speak several languages: arabic, French English >>

So there is no need to learn their own language.

<<Unfortunately Syria, Israel and other countries want to control their territory and destroy lebanese rich and cosmopolitan democracy >>

If they are destroyed and controlled they have no power so their language is not important, the language of the destroyers and controllers then becomes important.

Remember, this is a discussion about languages 'riding a wave of poplarity'. I know life is unfair, but it tends to be the language of the populous and 'close-minded' countries that become important, not the small 'cosmopolitan' countries.