What do you think of Dalai Lama's spoken English?

Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:51 am GMT
What do you think of Dalai Lama's spoken English?
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:01 am GMT
Andy Moon   Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:06 am GMT
It's charming.
Blanc de Blanc   Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am GMT
Are you chinese, and trying to find some sort of excuse to slag the Dalai Lama off?
And his spoken English is good.
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:38 pm GMT
Blanc de Blanc Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am GMT
Are you chinese, and trying to find some sort of excuse to slag the Dalai Lama off?
And his spoken English is good.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Odd enough!
Why cannnot we make an assessment of Dalai Lama's spoken English?
Reminder: Dalai Lama is actually one of my countrymen and a member of the grand Chinese family.
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 pm GMT
BTW, Dalai Lama could even write poems in Chinese.
Andy Moon   Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
He could probably write a poem in English too, so what?
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:08 pm GMT
Andy Moon Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
He could probably write a poem in English too, so what?
------------------------------------------------------------
Coool!
That shows Dalai Lama would set a very good example for language learners worldwide, if he has anything good about him! LOL
Andy Moon   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
Yes I agree, let us all take Dalai Lama as the example.
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm GMT
Honestly, he speaks broken English! Not a role model for learners of English in that regard. LOL
Shuimo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
I wonder where Dalai Lama picked up his English.
Somewhere in India?
Johnny   Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:22 pm GMT
Of course he doesn't sound "native", but he can make himself understood and he can understand the others too, so his accent is ok. I don't understand the point in commenting on Dalai Lama's English, unless someone here is interested in a kind of analysis of his speech (grammar, phonetics, etc).

<<Honestly, he speaks broken English! Not a role model for learners of English in that regard. LOL>>

It's not a problem, because no one cares how Dalai Lama speaks. Today learners have other models, for examples rappers on MTV:
Lesson 1 - Listen and repeat: "Yo teacha, I don't feel like learnin' no English shit today, so shut up befo I blow yo head off wit ma badass ak-47"
User   Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 pm GMT
"Dalai Lama is actually one of my countrymen and a member of the grand Chinese family."

Not by choice.
Shuimo   Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 am GMT
User Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 pm GMT
"Dalai Lama is actually one of my countrymen and a member of the grand Chinese family."

Not by choice.
------------------------------------------
But he has no choice. He was born on the Chinese soil.
Johnny   Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 am GMT
Are you interested in his spoken English or are you just interested in trolling? You don't seem to be interested in discussing English at all, so I just wanted to remind you this is a forum for the English language, you douchebag.