English, a Cold Language? Do we need so many Loves?

Kirk   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:55 am GMT
You have a very misguided view of how human languages work, someone. No language is "emotionally poor"--all human languages can equally express the same concepts, including emotion.

<<As you maybe already know, in most other languages “LOVE” is a very noble high ranking word, expressing only “LOVE” and used accordingly. >>

You seem to have ignored Tiffany's comment that French also uses "aimer" for romantic love as well as for showing approval in some object (like food or clothing, etc.). French gets along just fine with this construction, as does English. There are plenty of examples of languages which use the same word for vastly different emotions. However, they get along just fine too and communicate perfectly. How do we know? No one is confused about which kind of love you mean when you say "I love this sweater!" as compared to "I loved my dear old grandma dearly" as compared to "He realized he loved her so much he decided it was finally time to propose." No emotional poverty there.

<<Never misused or over used>>

There is no such thing as a language "misusing" or "overusing" a word.
Uriel   Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:10 am GMT
<<As you maybe already know, in most other languages “LOVE” is a very noble high ranking word, expressing only “LOVE” and used accordingly. Never misused or over used. >>

So what? Just because we can modify the sentiment of the word "love" through context rather than inventing a whole new word does not make English less expressive, or cheapen the word "love".

Really, your arguments are quite ridiculous.
Tiffany   Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:20 am GMT
Someone, do not "compromise" yourself by trying to sling personal insults.

And thank you for proving my point that a word is English, no matter where it came from if English speakers use it to communicate. The modern computer was obviously created and popularized in the United States. It came into other language's vocabulary, intact in many cases, from English. "To compute" is the English verb. "Computer" is so renowned as being of English origin, that the French, in order to stop what they saw as an invasion of English that would overtake the French language, created another word "ordinateur".

Very few people in Italy call it a "calcolatore." My husband's old physics professor is the only person I have every heard use it. Computer is the popular and preferred terminology and everybody (stress on everybody) will understand what it means.

I think Kirk and Uriel have said everything I wanted to say about the usage of "love".
Kirk   Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:48 am GMT
<<"Computer" is so renowned as being of English origin, that the French, in order to stop what they saw as an invasion of English that would overtake the French language, created another word "ordinateur". >>

Another one which amuses me was the French resistance of "camera," even tho the English word comes directly from Latin (instead, they have "appareil photo[graphique]"). The same with the more recent "digital camera"--English words but wholly Latin in origin. So instead of that they opted (at least officially) for "appareil photo(graphique) numérique."
Guest   Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:53 am GMT
Well "une camera" in French is a video camera or camcorder.
richivinsky   Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:24 am GMT
<<È perche è così importante per te che l'inglese non può considerare le parole d'origine francese e latino?>>

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't it be <<E perche è così importante per te che l'inglese non può considerare le parole d'origine francese e latino?>> ?
andre in usa   Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:14 am GMT
I love burgers. I love my wife. I love my car, etc.

Makes sense to me. Obviously context comes into play to differentiate levels of love, because why would you love burgers more than your wife? You don't need to have a million different words for love.
Guest   Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:29 pm GMT
"Obviously context comes into play to differentiate levels of love"

=not the context, - words should do that !

"because why would you love burgers more than your wife? "

-looking at the divorce rates and the obesity levels. More Americans love burgers more!

-You don't need to have a million different words for love

-who says that ? an English speaker ? LOL
Raffaele from Roma   Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
It’s very true that Anglo Saxon, Germanics, are very cold people, therefore they didn’t developed too many emotional words!

Look at the Latin and Slavic people ! They are worm, friendly and very emotional! Nobody can dispute that! Besides Romance languages are considered the languages of love, because the power of emotional expression.

We hug in public and kiss on the cheek at least two times, when I was in America, everybody said to me.. Aaah you’re a double kisser! Cazo! I said, you make me laugh, we kiss at least 2 times! Some other do it 3-4 times! Look at the French 3-4 times! We are more open hearted, never hypocrites with our emotions! You don’t know because most of you Americans never travelled out of your country, most of you don’t even have passports. Only 15 % have passports!

But if you’ll ever travel to see other countries you’ll see the difference and understand me, I can say that I have travelled to 12 countries world wide ! And I speak 4 languages. And I know different cultures , from what they eat to what they love. And I can assure you that I wasn’t impressed at all with the cultural level, gastronomical level and emotional level from the US. Lol !

It’s not just a stereotype it’s the mentality of Germanic people, very reserved, less emotional, versus Latin and Slavic people! Even if you’ll have emotional words , you’ll never know what to do with them! Many Americans visiting Italy , say

-Wow , everybody seems to be in love with me !

If you don’t believe me ! Get yourself a ticket to Southern Europe! Many Japanese people always told me that they love the EU Latin countries, because people are wormer and more emotional and religious. Versus the cold, rigid, reserved Germanics! We call them “stitici” rigid – constipated !

You can say whatever you want! But you are a cold nation with a cold language! You can deny it on this forum! but not world wide!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omnes viae Romam ducunt !
Tutte le strade portano a Roma !
Sander   Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:30 pm GMT
Why do we get all the morons?
Tiffany   Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:50 pm GMT
"Just out of curiosity, shouldn't it be <<E perche è così importante per te che l'inglese non può considerare le parole d'origine francese e latino?>> ?"

Yes, typo, thanks for catching it the accent should have gone on the second in the "perché" not the first "E" in the word, which is "and".

I also suspect both "Raffaele from Roma" and "someone" are the same person as they both spelled "cazzo" [En: fuck] wrong, with only one "z" both times. Could just be a strange coincidence though...

Raffaele from Roma Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
<<It’s very true that Anglo Saxon, Germanics, are very cold people, therefore they didn’t developed too many emotional words!...Besides Romance languages are considered the languages of love, because the power of emotional expression. ... Look at the French 3-4 times!>>

Again, completely ignoring the fact that the French use "aimer" for love of everything. Just like "someone" did. Again, it could jsut be a strange coincidence. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Raffaele:
I've been to Italy. The only person in love with me there was my husband. I've met friendly people everywhere I've gone. I've met some not-so-nice people too (including in Italy). Your travels do not make you an expert. Your paragraphs reek of stereotypes. We do not need to deny anything. It is you who are in denial.
wtf   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:04 pm GMT
WTF are you talking about ?

love=amour

Amour and aimer are diferent words you 1D1075

amour = affection, tendresse, zéro, rien , mon chou

aimer = affectionner, être amoureux, adorer, désirer

you only <love> have . you dont have anithingelse
Tiffany   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:25 pm GMT
I am talking about "aimer" the verb, the commonly-used one that you can use to say you love your wife, your car, baguettes, etc. Let me get you up to speed: this is in comparison with the verb "love" that English-speakers use which you can also use to say you love your wife, your car, baguettes, etc. One-to-one comparison.
Sander   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:26 pm GMT
love, affection, adoration, desire, to be keen on, to care for, to like, devotation.

"Who the fuck" is talking about what now?
Guest   Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
Beside that, guess which language has the most love songs? I'll give you a few hints: It's not a Romance language and it original housing was a big Island in western Europe.