classicaly handsome

choose   Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 pm GMT
"He wasn't really handsome, certainly not in a classic way."
What's the classic way of being handsome?
choose   Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:51 pm GMT
One more question.
"In any case, he didn't hesitate any longer but leaned forward and kissed her, aiming straight for her lips. She tasted mint; he'd subtly dropped a tic tac or Altoid when she wasn't looking. Slick, she thought, laughing to herself."

What did he drop again?
Lazar   Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 pm GMT
<<What's the classic way of being handsome?>>

Well I guess they're referring to being handsome (i.e. good-looking) in a very conventional way, probably in line with Greco-Roman and Renaissance ideals of masculine beauty.

<<What did he drop again?>>

Tic Tacs and Altoids are brands of breath mints: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altoids .
Loose Cannon   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
He refreshed his breath with a mint candy.
The classic way of being handsome is the renaissance concept of beauty. Think Michelangelo (not ninja turtle).
Caspian   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm GMT
choose, what's your native language? Just curious.
choose   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 pm GMT
>>Think Michelangelo (not ninja turtle).
lol. It's been a LONG time.

Caspian,
Would you like to guess before I am forced to give it away? (only those reading my latest posts with such diligence might be able to score here)
choose   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 pm GMT
Thanks guys.
Sorry your generosity in answering my queries only prompts me to ask more.
"Murder's murder. It'll become a lot less soap opera when we link him to the others who've been killed."

Huh? I thought soap opera was "an ongoing, episodic work of fiction"
Lazar   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
Well I think it would help to have more context on that one, but "soap opera" can be used figuratively to refer to excessive drama, passion, melodrama, etc.
choose   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
'He was arresting an armed killer. And you're claiming that his motive is that his daughter died because of some cult thing? That's not compelling.'
'I never worry too much about motive...If a man kills his wife, it doesn't really matter to the jury if it was because she served him a burned stead or he wanted her insurance money. Murder's murder. It'll become a lot less soap opera when we link him to the others who've been killed."

Lemme know if that's not enough context. The novel is only some 500 pages ;o)
Lazar   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:54 pm GMT
Yeah, "soap opera" is being used there to refer to the exotic or sensational nature of the case.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:59 pm GMT
Classically* handsome?

Well, here we have an excellent example of such in the shape of the four guys from Blake, pictured here signing a carol perfectly fitting in with the present time of the year....."In The Bleak Midwinter"........classically handsome Stephen, Jules, Oliver and Dominic.....making up the group Blake......signing in the gorgeously hallowed beauty of the ancient Hexham Abbey, close to the 2nd century Roman Hadrian's Wall, in Northumberland, England, just south of the present day border with Scotland.

The lady introducing them is the operatic star Lesley Garrett, speaking with the very pronounced North of England accent, maybe Lancashire, I'm not sure without checking.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P5-ZRDzBBOg&feature=channel

*Correct spelling ;-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 pm GMT
Lesley Garrett is from Waterside, South Yorkshire (not Lancashire as I thought......silly me! What a terrible mistake to make!) - not far fom Sheffield.

I'm only trying to rekindle the Wars of the Roses all over again......
choose   Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:30 am GMT
More vocab questions from the same novel.
1) Parole:
pa·role
n.
1. Law
1. The release of a prisoner whose term has not expired on condition of sustained lawful behavior that is subject to regular monitoring by an officer of the law for a set period of time.
2. The duration of such conditional release.
2. A password used by an officer of the day, an officer on guard, or the personnel commanded by such an officer.
3. Word of honor, especially that of a prisoner of war who is granted freedom only after promising not to engage in combat until formally exchanged.
4. Linguistics The act of speaking; a particular utterance or word.

What does it mean? None of them definitions fit the meaning referred to in these phrases, or at least I can't see the connection:
"With a parole board backup," and "parole officers."

2) Concession:
1. The act of conceding or yielding; usually implying a demand, claim, or request, and thus distinguished from giving, which is voluntary or spontaneous.

By mutual concession the business was adjusted. --Hallam.

2. A thing yielded; an acknowledgment or admission; a boon; a grant; esp. a grant by government of a privilege or right to do something; as, a concession to build a canal.

Here is a sentence out of the book. This time, I fail to fathom the meaning of the term out altogether: "This was no badge of infidelity but a concession to the job."
Lazar   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:23 am GMT
Given that it's a crime novel, the definition of parole here is definition 1. (Definitions 3, 4 and 5 are quite rare.) So basically, sometimes when people are imprisoned, after a certain period of time they may be eligible for parole (a conditional release from prison as a reward for good behavior). Parole eligibility will be defined when the judge sentences them: for example, someone can be sentenced to 10 years, with the possibility of parole after 5. A parole board is a group of people who decide whether an eligible prisoner should be granted parole. A parole officer is a state officer who supervises a parolee. The parolee must report to them regularly, and the parole officer will try to find out whether the parolee has violated the terms of the parole (these terms would likely include not staying out past a certain hour, maintaining a steady job, not using drugs, not trying to flee).

<<"This was no badge of infidelity but a concession to the job.">>

Again, context would be very important here. But it appears that the character has done something that he needed to do as part of his job - he's made a concession (or a compromise) by doing something that he wouldn't otherwise have done. It implies that his sense of duty compelled him to do it, even though it's something that he would have preferred not to do.
choose   Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 am GMT
Makes sense.

"He shrugged and examined his nails. He wore no jewelry but Dance could see the indentation of a wedding band. It occurred to her that, for once, this was no badge of infidelity but a concession to the job. Probably, circulating among dangerous prisoners, it was better not to wear anything they might steal."

You're parole explanation more than covers it. So thanks.

So, is it normal that I find an average of one new word per page to write down and memorize? Or is that far too much?
I would say no to the first question, my vocab needs to be colossally strengthened and built. But whenever I ask my English-native friends about the meaning of some of the words I jot down, I almost always get an I-don't-know answer.
Furthermore, curiously, the author of this novel, Jeffery Deaver, seems to have had a dictionary shoved into his head as he was a little sucker. The reason why I'm deducing this is because I'm reading another novel by Brad Thor and Deaver just makes him look like a rookie in terms of his vocabulary might.