Scrambled

choose   Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:24 am GMT
'Even though his brain was scrambled from the fall and he couldn't breathe, he knew on a primal level that he needed to get moving or he was going to be dead.'

scrambled:
adjective
thrown together in a disorderly fashion; "a scrambled plan of action"

Perhaps I am taking it too literally, but, in light of the word definition provided above, how could one's brain be scrambled ?
User   Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:42 am GMT
In this case, it means "put into disorder". You can't find every meaning in the dictionary.
choose   Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 am GMT
I thank for the reply, and agree with the latter comment.
However, you're always going to get those posters nagging with teacher-like attitudes that you have to consult a dictionary before directing a question to antimooners.
addlebrained   Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 am GMT
Think of a scrambled egg
choose   Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:38 am GMT
I did. It is after I'd been thorough with picturing a brain getting scrambled the way eggs do that I posted my question.
choose   Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:38 am GMT
I did. It is after I'd been thorough with picturing a brain getting scrambled the way eggs do that I posted my question.
bubble   Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 am GMT
It means he was confused and disoriented. He couldn't think straight.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:25 am GMT
Mixed up, stirred up, beaten into a wee bit of a mess - like many otherwise reasoned thought processes following all the current festive season office parties.

Scrambling results in total incomprehension and lack of intelligibility - as in secret telephonic or electronic messages deliberately scrambled to prevent information falling into the wrong hands.

Scrambling can also means crawling or climbing up something on your hands and knees - like attempting to negotiate a steep slope in such a manner.

During WW2, and especially during the Battle of Britain in the dangerously crucial (for Britain) summer of 1940, the defending RAF (Royal Air Force) used the term "Scramble!" when ordering all flying personnel to take to their aircraft immediately once a warning that enemy planes were approaching had been issued by the radar observers or people manning observation posts.

Once the words "Flight scramble!" had been yelled out over the tannoy systems all pilots immediately stopped doing whatever they were doing and ran like the clappers to their waiting Spitfires of Hurricanes ready o take off and fight off the attacking enemy incursions over their own home ground.