English people make modest company.

H   Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 am GMT
Oh, it's just crossed my mind in this very situation I could apply the saying with a slightly changed wording, "Some English-speaking people make modest company in forums".

I understand answering questions is not anyone's duty, just their good will.
On the other hand, most learners of English ask quite simple questions in the hope of getting ANY info from native speakers, even " Never heard it/ sounds odd/ doesn't make sense/ nobody says so."

Thanks, Language Lover and Robin Michael.
Robin Michael   Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 am GMT
If you were going to flatter Native Speakers, you would say that Native Speakers are like Gold in the company of Silver.

The proverb is nothing to do with 'English Speaking'.

However if you wanted to apply the proverb to the antimoon forum and you wanted to flatter and encourage Native Speakers, you would say:

<<
A coin of gold is delighting in a bag of silver coins
>>

Like a Gold coin in a bag of silver coins, Native English Speakers bring something extra to the Antimoon Forum.

BUT to say that 'Native English Speakers make modest company' is say the opposite.

It is like saying that 'Native English Speakers are like copper coins in a bag of silver coins'.

If an Native English Speaker is fortunate to be in the position of being surrounded by people who are keen to learn English, in a Foreign Country; it is like "A coin of gold, being delighted to be in a bag of silver'.

Because, something that you would normally take for granted, i.e. 'the ability to speak your own language', is elevated to the status of a special skill that is much in demand.