Happy holidays

choose   Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:14 am GMT
Why do people say "happy holidays" instead of "happy holiday?" Or do they mean to include both Christmas and New Year in that same package?
Dan   Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 am GMT
Yes
Eel   Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:21 am GMT
You're forgetting Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, you ethnocentric asshole.
choose   Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:52 am GMT
And you're forgetting Eid. You fucking idiot
Pat   Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:57 am GMT
I refuse to say "happy holidays". I say "merry Christmas". Deal with it.
Pat   Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 pm GMT
I am a dumbass, too. Deal with it.
Pat   Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:39 pm GMT
I didn't write the second post under "Pat".
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
Happy Holidays......!!! For heaven's sake do try and drop that banal, mainly American, seasonal greeting - a sop to crazy and unwarranted political correctness in the vain hope of "offending" ethnic groups other than those adhering to the Christian faith. Is silmilar due reverence paid by all these other ethnic groups towards Christians on the pretext of avoiding offending them in the same ciorcumstances? Of course not!

One thing many of us here in Britain, at least, try hard to avoid is the need to adopt a whole lot of other unwantwed American customs - they just don't sit well with the European psyche.

Sure enough - the Christmas / New Year (Hogmanay here in Scotland) period is a holiday for many people and many people have already "knocked off" work until the 02 January 2009, but as that is a Friday this time round then 05 January 2009 is more realistic, or 06 January 2009 here in Scotland, as we have an additional day tacked on to the New Year (Hogmanay) each year, as we in Scotland really and truly go to town big time over this period so we need the extra day off in order to recover, but of course, as everywhere else in the world, a good many people have to work over these holiday periods in order to keep the wheels of society, including all the emergency and social services of course, up and running.

Of course, in these difficult economic times, more and more people now find that "holidays" have been forced on them until such time as they find alternative employment. Best of luck to all of them.

Forget the "Happy Holidays" nonsense - it's plain and simple for all Christians and others who respect this great festival and the new year approaching - Happy(or Merry) Christmas and a Happy New Year or as we say here in Scotland - a Guid New Year!

I will post suitable links closer to Christmas itself and, of course, Hogmanay (the New Year).
ren   Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:10 pm GMT
What are you talking about, Europeans are a thousand times more PC than Americans!
Lance   Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
That's mainly the politicians.
JTT   Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 am GMT
I live in a city and work in an industry where I encounter and work with people of many different faiths and religious beliefs. During this time, we all get into the spirit of the season by shopping and exchanging gifts, decorating our homes and offices, attending company parties, sending greeting cards, etc. Whether we are Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu, Mormons, Scientologists, Wiccans, animists, atheists, etc., we all get into this celebratory mode during this time of year. That is why we we greet each other with "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" -- we wish each other good cheer, but we accept that we may not be celebrating for the same reasons.

Now, had I lived in a region where I knew for a fact that most of the people were Christians, I would definitely greet people with "Merry Christmas".
Hwich witch   Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 am GMT
Happy holidays [it makes sense]
Summer holidays [it does not make any sense], it should be VACATION, like in Italian: vacanza (sono in vacanza = I'm on vacation).
Skippy   Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 am GMT
Americans are extremely concerned about political correctness... At least in my experience... My friends in Louisiana (of all places) are much more PC than my friends in Germany... No offense to Germans, but they were surprised that I could understand some Spanish b/c they hear how awful Latin Americans have it in the US, and I said it's the same as Turks in Germany. "Ya'll probably speak some Turkish, right?" Well, they don't, and they referred to both the language and the people in not-very-PC terms...
Damian auf Schottland   Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 am GMT
It's true that the twisted logic of political correctness hasn't really got off the ground in Germany, and it's very unlikely that it ever will, which is really good. That's one of the things I like about our European compatriots the Germans. Prosit!

The small applies to the rest of Europe, more or less. I met a fantastic guy from Romania last night. Noroc!
noneuian   Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 pm GMT
I thought Germany was trying to get certain kinds of politically incorrect ideas banned:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/16/germany.thefarright