Language Schools in Your City and Languages

K. T.   Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 pm GMT
I live in the southern part of the United States. We're not known for being multilingual, but maybe immigration has changed the language picture here. We have a French school (and yes, they DO teach other languages there, but not Spanish), at least two Spanish schools, a Chinese school and apparently a school that offers various languages.
These are schools in addition to the universities. I live in a medium-sized city.

What kinds of schools do you have in your area? I'm primarily interested in the Anglophone countries, but other comments are okay as well.

BTW, we do not have a Berlitz school.

Also I am interested in what you think of Alexander Arguelles and his polyglot academy. Do you think such a school would be a success in your area? He seems to be interested in teaching great books and teaching people how to teach themselves languages.

It wouldn't work where I live. I think we are too lazy, lol.
Joshua   Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
<<
Also I am interested in what you think of Alexander Arguelles and his polyglot academy. Do you think such a school would be a success in your area? He seems to be interested in teaching great books and teaching people how to teach themselves languages.
>>

The only place it would work is somewhere eccentric and 'out of touch' with the real world, for example, the Vatican or perhaps some uber university town. It seems a nice idea in theory, but ya know, I happen to have a job and the likes...
Super Korean   Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 am GMT
I'm from Seoul - the capital and the largest city of South Korea.
Since Seoul is a huge, cosmopolitan city, it has several non-Korean language schools.

There are at least 3 international schools for foreign citizens(Children of diplomats, expats or ethnic Koreans who do not have Korean citizenship).
They are English speaking schools and offer standard US style education.

There are at least 2 Chinese schools for Chinese descendents, Chinese diaspora in Seoul. One of my friends graduated from the Chinese school in Seoul and she said the students could choose either to go to Korean colleges or Chinese/Taiwanese colleges from 9th grade. For the ones who want to go to Korean universities, they offer some courses taught in Korean.

There are at least 1 Japanese school, 1 French school and 1 German school in Seoul as well.

I notice many students from less-developed countries(such as Mongolia, Vietnam or Russia) tend to attend regular public schools(Korean language schools) though. Once they attend Korean schools, they master Korean language in a couple of years like most immigrant kids in America master English.
Mamochka   Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:54 am GMT
I'm surprised that there are only a couple of replies so far.
Comments please!!
beija-flor   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Some more information about this topic please----
DeWhite   Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:50 am GMT
There is a lot of French schools here. Seems the French Goverbment has lotter money to throw arounsd.