CNN-BBC-DW-ETC. news presenters for international viewing

Hans   Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:57 pm GMT
Good day

Well I was wondering about new readers on TV I have noticed an increase of Australian and New Zealanders appearing as News readers especially when boardcasted internationally. Can people tell me why do they perfer an accent over another. I know generally they would perfer local accents for their own local boardcast but I'm commenting on the International boardcasts.

Thankyou
Hans
Damian   Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 am GMT
Internationally: I suppose I would go for Australian or NZ. I like most of the Continental reporters in the way they operate in English...invariably of a high standard.

Of them all, I least like American stations ....by a looooong way.

On a local level I am naturally biased so: STV (Scottish TV) and all Scottish regionals first and foremost, then regional BBC from all over these islands ....then national BBC with the standard RP. Mostly fair and balanced although the BBC does tend to be a wee bit lefty leaning...but what the heck...so am I. :-)
stefan woo   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:41 pm GMT
the bill metropolan police sun hill station police officer
metropolian police officer detecive in spector
pc stefan woo if know to the got a real
badge to get to the information
contact of the pc woo
and i metropolian police officer
education be fore police officer your the to do it is
his detecive in spector officer
Duke   Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:58 am GMT
I like that Australian hottie on Deutsch Weller.
Travis   Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:38 am GMT
>>Of them all, I least like American stations ....by a looooong way.<<

Even the not-quite-as-bad ones are not that great, in most cases, even if they are infinitely better than that commonly known to most as Fox News, which is an absolute abomination one way or another. But then, if one wants good news coverage here in the US, television news is not exactly the kind of thing one would want to look for. Of course, for my own news purposes, I generally just use Google News, and from there generally access web content from the New York Times, the Washington Post, the BBC, the Guardian, sometimes CNN if there isn't anything better than it, and like. I will also read newspapers, preferably the New York Times, the Washington Post, or the Wall Street Journal (despite its political leanings), but that is usually when they are already lying around somewhere, as I do not go out of my way to actually buy and lug around dead tree newspapers.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:44 am GMT
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mandy   Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:25 am GMT
When there's a mixture of Cockney and American English, you know he's Australian :)
Uriel   Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:35 am GMT
Exactly how do Australians sound even remotely American?
Mandy   Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:53 am GMT
rhoticity and dance-words pronounced as [deans] rather as [dans] I guess
Frances   Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:20 am GMT
We sound nothing like Americans - the Australian accent comes from Cockney and I can understand that link but American?

...and Australianss are non-rhotic!
tina   Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:18 am GMT
Well, Gina G and Dannii & Kylie are Australians but they use American accents when they sing :) Could you imagine them singing with broad Australian accents? it would be very funny :)
Frances   Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:46 am GMT
Tina - some people do speak with a broad Australian accent, especially if its alternative, folk, country. That's because to be successful in the market you have to sing with an American accent....
pp   Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:46 pm GMT
which is the aussie reporter on DW?
Uriel   Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
<Tina - some people do speak with a broad Australian accent, especially if its alternative, folk, country. That's because to be successful in the market you have to sing with an American accent.... >

Which is odd because, on the whole, I don't think WE really care ... it's usually cuter when people "talk funny"!
Hythloday   Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:36 pm GMT
the bill metropolan police sun hill station police officer
metropolian police officer detecive in spector
pc stefan woo if know to the got a real
badge to get to the information
contact of the pc woo
and i metropolian police officer
education be fore police officer your the to do it is
his detecive in spector officer

Home-owner loan
Hoe moaner (lone)
Home-own alone