Antimoon method (without interaction with native speakers)

maxter j   Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:34 pm GMT
I've been seeking dozens of native english-speakers around the world from many penpal websites to communicate with, via email, to learn and improve my english. But I was rejected by all of them. I confess I couldn't offer Italian, Spanish or German language to swap for their english.

MY QUESTION IS:
Can the Antimoon method be a success for an english-learner WITHOUT one seemingly vital factor: the interaction with native english speakers?

Any comments?
maxter j   Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:56 pm GMT
Let me rephrase or elaborate my question:

Can someone master the english language completely by ONLY reading books, watching TV, Movies, ........etc and NOT interacting (talking, chatting) with a real native english-speaking person ?????
César   Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:13 pm GMT
I improved my English to the point of having a neutral American English accent (like CNN's) basically because of two things: 1, it was my goal to perfect the language; and 2, because I had to speak English at work (I used to work in a Call Center).

Listening to native speakers, I believe, is a very important factor that will help you to improve your English. However, if you do not have the advantage of speaking with them, I would suggest you install iTunes in your computer and download the following podcasts from it:

English as a Second Language Podcast
English Through Stories
TOEFL Podcast

They will be of great help to you.

Regards!
César   Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:22 pm GMT
By the way, I listened to the audio files of the first two guys that appear in the "Successful English learners" section. Even though their English is very good, they still fail to properly reproduce some American English sounds (like the plosive "p") and some vowel sounds are mispronounced sometimes (like the ae sound). Also, they sound a bit robotic.

If you want your English to be "perfect," immitate native speakers and try to get feedback from them (and better if they can teach you how to reproduce those sounds that your native language does not have).

Regards!
maxter j   Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:25 am GMT
Thanks César. i appreciate it VERY MUCH.

But from where can I get the iTunes?
Is it free to download the podcasts ?
maxter j   Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:05 am GMT
César,

I am currently downloading the iTunes software from apple.com (using a 56k modem. I don't have broadband).

Could you tell me the WEBSITES to download the following podcasts
(I'd like to download FREE podcasts with free audiofiles of american or british english) ????

English as a Second Language Podcast
English Through Stories
TOEFL Podcast
"Successful English learners"

Thanks!
Laura Braun   Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:16 pm GMT
language is a tool, you have to use it, otherwise there is no point in learning english.
maxter j   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
Hello Laura Braun

With respect to your message, I'm using english in any situations possible - except speaking to native speakers which is not possible for me because there are no native native speakers on earth who want to speak to me on a long-term basis.
maxter j   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:29 pm GMT
OOOooops....correction: it's "native speakers" and not "native native speakers" on the second line in the above message. Maybe it's temper.
Laura Braun   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
Maxter j,
Don't be disapeointed from the fact that you cannot see or hear someone who is native speaker. I think that Antimoon is rather helpful, because at least you can read english which is not from the books, but it's used in practice. If you read too much you can improve your language skills. Watching english movies with subtitles in english is rather helpful too.
maxter j   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:41 am GMT
Laura are you a native speaker of english?

Written english and spoken english are 2 different languages, I might say. Written english tend to be more formal. Spoken english has its own set of informal words and vernacular words, and a variety of accents.

Skills for written english are easily acquired from reading books, magazines, watching tv etc BUT spoken english is much harder to learn if one doesn't have REAL people at their side to practice speaking with.
Laura Braun   Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:22 pm GMT
Several years ago I was learning english. I was so excited in learning english. I wanted like you to talk with native speakers. When I heard english speach on the street in was like electricity on my back. I felt in love in english language and I had a dream to go to a country when I can speak english.
...but it's not as I dreamt, it's diferent culture, and I have to talk in english, I have to think in english, I have to listen english. Sometimes it's like a wall in front of me and if I'm not concentrated at all I cannot 'hear' for what they are talking about....
maxter j   Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
Hello Laura

<<...but it's not as I dreamt, it's diferent culture, and I have to talk in english, I have to think in english, I have to listen english. Sometimes it's like a wall in front of me and if I'm not concentrated at all I cannot 'hear' for what they are talking about.... >>

You ARE living your dreams now.....ENJOY the moment while you can.....LEARN while you're there...Because it'll be all gone when you're back in Italy (for example). i really envy you.....for you're living the dream that I feel I could not have...not in my wildest dream.

Thanks for listening to my problem, Laura.
Mxsmanic   Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:21 pm GMT
It is theoretically possible to reach just about any level of fluency in a language without direct interaction with native speakers, but it's extremely difficult.

However, you can reach a high level of fluency through dedicated study on your own. The most difficult things to learn on your own are speaking skills, especially the ability to speak spontaneously (because spontaneous speaking exercises are virtually impossible to arrange on your own). You can learn to understand the spoken language without direct contact with natives if you have good listening materials. You can learn to speak the language with a fairly small accent if you study phonetics and have good materials on the subject. Overall, you can learn a language well enough that improving upon your abilities when and if you finally do interact with native speakers is greatly accelerated.
Laura Braun   Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:15 am GMT
Yeah Mxsmanic is absolutely right. Here in forum you can interact directly with native speakers and it's rather helpful. Most of what I know I learnt it from here and from other forums, but I was here since 2003.