My voice sample

Xie   Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:33 am GMT
I can't find my last Le petit prince sample. Forget it.

Here's the new recording. I got a new mic for this...

http://www.badongo.com/audio/12776442

090106-voa070730science

From VOA's science news (07 Jul 30th)

http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/archive/2007-07/2007-07-30-voa3.cfm

A few things to note, though:
1) I think I did make mistakes by elongating "disease", pronouncing it wrongly, etc. Those are unimportant. I read this article unprepared. What I did was simply to speak to the mic while I listen to the audio for the first time with my earphones. I make such mistakes too with my own native language.
2) There are a few very long pauses. When VOA plays music, I'll stop.
3) I suspect that there may be something wrong with my voice. I spoke (only with those long pauses) almost non-stop and I felt very sick. In the last paragraphs, I may sound as if I were choking. Pardon my poor voice quality. People often tease me about this. I can't help with it.
4) Which accent? My target of imitation is the American, so I'm simply imitating the two hosts - and for Faith I tend to have a higher pitch, though my voice simply sucks at the end of the article.

This is also pretty much the way I shadow. I can upload a few clips for French Assimil....
latez   Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 pm GMT
Xie, I have always thought you were a woman! IoI Could you tell me how long have you been learning English and how? It sounds pretty good...
Thanks
Jasper   Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:30 pm GMT
Xie, your voice is heavily accented but relatively easy to understand.

If you don't mind my asking, which method are you using to shadow?
Jago   Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 am GMT
I'd agree with Jasper that your English is heavily accented. You have twinges of American interspersed with the French accent and you sometimes stress the wrong words. But over all it's very understandable and literate.
yob   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 am GMT
It sounds much more British than it does American, especially the intonation in the way it rises and falls.
agora   Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am GMT
I think your accent sounds much better than most american accents IoI
Xie   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 pm GMT
>>Xie, I have always thought you were a woman! IoI Could you tell me how long have you been learning English and how? It sounds pretty good...

How come!?

>>Xie, your voice is heavily accented but relatively easy to understand.

If you don't mind my asking, which method are you using to shadow?

My input is minimal, so that's natural - that's not an excuse, either, I'm quite lazy... I never shadowed English at all. I should admit that I should invest more time back on English from now on...

>>You have twinges of American interspersed with the French accent

Over the last months I did shadow far more French than anything, but I do feel shocked when you say I'm even mixing my shadowed French into my English...

Maybe the Chinese accent is typically non-rhotic, and considering my past background, it doesn't surprise me that I may sound British. I'm supposed to understand more native accents for better understanding, isn't it?