I or Me

Zak Bailess   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
My friend recently took a picture of me, and posted it on the internet. She captioned the picture as "Zak and I", I believe the caption should be "Zak and Me". Who is correct? I always thought that for the use of I there had to be a verb involved.
eeuuian   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm GMT
I'd prefer "Zak and Me"
Zak Bailess   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm GMT
Cheers.
Johnny   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:26 pm GMT
I'd say there's no difference at all, for several reasons. Both are certainly used the same way by native speakers in that context.
Johnny   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm GMT
I forgot to add I like "Zak and Me" best too.
Sarmackie   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 pm GMT
The best way to figure out which is right is to take out the other person. You wouldn't caption a picture with 'I', but rather 'me'.
The observer   Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 pm GMT
I would say "Zak and I", but, use "me", in the example given by Sarmackie.
Jago   Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:33 pm GMT
"Zak and I" is the correct way to say it but "Zak and me" is a perfectly reasonable colloquialism.
Caspian   Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 pm GMT
'Zak and I' would be incorrect in this case. Like Sarmackie said, you have to pretend you're just talking about the 'me' or 'I'. You wouldn't label it 'I', you'd label it 'Me'.
eeuuian   Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
""'Zak and I' would be incorrect in this case""

I don't think it's incorrect. It's just that I'd proabbly say "Zack and me" rather than "Zack and I" as a picture caption. In contrast, I'd never caption a photo with just "I". I'd always use "me" in this case.

It's unclear what grammar rules are applicible here. Perhaps it's best not to regard English as a rules-based language. Each sentence (or phrase) is a unique case, and you just have to get a "feel" for what's correct, incorrect, allowable, etc.
Skippy   Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:20 pm GMT
I'd say "Zak and me" because I would say it like "This is a picture of Zak and me" or even "This is Zak and me." In this case it is acceptable to use 'me' instead of 'I' which sounds a little hypercorrective.
Zak   Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 pm GMT
"Zak and I are leaving.".

"That belongs to Zak and me.".

In the above examples, interchanging "me" and "I" would appear incorrect.
Cure   Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 am GMT
"Zack and me" sounds better probably because it's a picture of 'Zack and me'.
HappyHippo's   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:41 am GMT
It is Zack and I (formal).
It's Zack and me (informal).

Zack and I went to the store (formal).
Zack and me went to the store (informal).

For you and me (formal and informal).
For you and I (informal, ultracorrected; but extremely common, especially in songs).
HappyHippo's   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:44 am GMT
"Zak and I are leaving.".

"That belongs to Zak and me.".

In the above examples, interchanging "me" and "I" would appear incorrect.

Not true.
Zack and me are leaving is common.
That belongs to Zack and I is common too, it's an ultracorrection, but I like it. Both forms have existed since Shakespeare's time.