my accent sample

TommyHawk:   Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 am GMT
I am an ESL student. Here is my voice sample: Tell me if my accent is understandable or not. I spoke naturally. Any feedback is more than welcome.

http://www.badongo.com/audio/12804642

Thanks.
Winnetou   Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
You sound African. But I understood you well.
lica   Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:53 pm GMT
Dear Tommy I can understand Xie much better than you but... I'm not an English native speaker IoI
Gnomey   Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 pm GMT
Hello! Great voice recording. Both my sister and I listened to it and think you speak English very well! We think that you shouldn't change your accent because an accent can be a great way to make people interested in you (I know I personally love a foreign accent). I think you spoke at kind of slow pace, but I am sure you did this for the sake of the recording.

I know a guy at my college who from Trinidad who is very hard to understand at times because he speaks fast AND quiet which sounds like he's mumbling. I think that as long at you pronounce the words to the best of your ability and speak loud enough that people won't have to strain to understand you. One problem I did notice in your voice recording was when you said the word "thick", you didn't pronounce the "th" together as they are supposed to be and it just sounded like "tick".

But again, I don't think you should change your accent because it's lovely. :)
Tommyhawk:   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:22 am GMT
I am working on my pronunciation. I am not African. I am Pakistani.

Thanks for your input.
Just for Fun   Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:14 am GMT
There is no need to change your accent to that of someone from Trinidad just to please the posters on this thread. I suspect that to some people all accents sound alike. That's why those quessing threads on Antimoon go on forever and ever.

Poster one: Here's my latest accent file. Please tell me if I've improved since last week.

File: Scratch, chalk on a blackboard, ducks, other waterfowl, *7849271-
Qvack, Qvack, Fizzle, Wa, Wa. Nyan Nyan.

Jim from Jersey: You from Queens?

Poster one: No, guess again.

Lingy: I say Midwest somewhere.

Poster one: Never been there.

Smartimann: California all the way, I heard a low-back vowel.

PO: There is nothing wrong with my bowels or my back.I need a new microphone.

Smartimann: Vowels, not bowels. Do you know X-Sampa?

PO: Yes. I heard them in Brazil.

Jim from Jersey: Okay, are you Joe Liebermann, I mean Biden? East coast definitely. Okay, my brother-in-law, then? Are you going to tell us or not?
Tommyhawk:   Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:59 am GMT
Just for fun,

You are too funny. I had a laugh. I do not live in a native speaking country so my only hope is to post my sample on an ESL forum and get some feedback. Atleast, there is a wondow of opportunity for learning something out of feedback instead of working alone.
Peter   Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
More Just for Fun, more!