Will English or French...

Afrika Bombadda   Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
Ok people stop it! Don't bring Spanish into this. We will just have another tit for tat stupid war. The question was about English and French in Africa, nothing else.

So far I've posted some examples for English and Visitor posted some for French. Anyone else have any insight on this subject.
Afrika Bombadda   Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
Stop it people! Don't bring Spanish into this. We will just have another stupid tit for tat insult war. The question was about English and French in Africa, nothing else.

So far, I've given some examples for English and Visitor gave some for French. Anyone else have any insight on the subject?
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 am GMT
English and French will dissapear from Africa. At most there will remain a few creoles, but they will no longer be French and English due to the mixing with native languages. Look at Haiti, whose population is African, they no longer speak French but a distinct language. Native languages are still alive and they will impose IMO. Also Arabic is becoming strong in North Africa. Of course English is the lingua Franca in Africa too but I mean that native languages will become the true national languages and displace English and French as the languages of administration, education, and so on.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 am GMT
No, whether French declines or not, most African countries see that English is the path of the future, so I expect it to increase there as it is across the rest of the world. Now that a person of African ancestry sits in the whitehouse, that can only make English seem more attractive.
Afrika Bombadda   Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:04 am GMT
Interesting conflicting points Guests 1 and 2.
Visitor   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 am GMT
<< No, whether French declines or not, most African countries see that English is the path of the future, so I expect it to increase there as it is across the rest of the world. Now that a person of African ancestry sits in the whitehouse, that can only make English seem more attractive. >>

Sure, that's why many Anglophone Africans learn French than the other way around in countries like Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, and even Liberia where French is now mandatory at Primary level and even become medium of instructions in math, science, and social subjects in those countries.

English is more likely to disappear than French in Africa. In countries like Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, Swahili is being promoted at English's expense in contrast to Francophone Africa that the use of vernacular languages in broadcasting and education is strictly prohibited.

Same thing in Hispanic America, wherein Paraguay put more emphasis on Guarani rather than Spanish and it has even become an official language of Mercosur. It won't be long that Quechua, Aymara, Quiche, and Nahuatl will follow the same path now that they have been declared not only as official languages but national languages too along with Spanish. It's very likely that they will replace Spanish since the Amerindian(who have no regard for Spanish language and culture) population growth is higher than that of criollos and mestizos combined. In addition, the Hispanic American Spanish especially those of Cuba, Chile, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Uruugay, Argentina, and Panama are evolving differently from each the standard form and from each other that someday it will declare linguistic independence like Afrikaans from Dutch.
Visitor   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 am GMT
It's English and Portuguese that's is up and up in Hispanic America, and unlike what you say about Spanish in Africa this is really true. Haha.
Afrika Bombadda   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 pm GMT
Visitor, I respect your opinions about Africa, but please keep it on subject and not bring in Spanish. Your assumptions about Latin America have nothing to do with this topic and will only distract. There are other threads where you can talk about Spanish. Thanks.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
Look at South Africa for example, once the whites lost the control (at least politically) of the African countries, their languages will become weaker in Africa and native tongues will impose.
Afrika Bombadda   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 pm GMT
Ok. Maybe I should change the question. Will English, French or native African languages become more prominent?
Button   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:01 pm GMT
<< Look at South Africa for example, once the whites lost the control (at least politically) of the African countries, their languages will become weaker in Africa and native tongues will impose. >>

In fact I believe Afrikaans is in a strong position in South Africa post-apartheid. There are tv channels solely in Afrikaans.

Also, why is Chinese being totally ignored here? They are now investing heavily in infrastructure in Africa because of China's need for resources, and Chinese will become a very important language in Africa as well.
Button   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 pm GMT
Okay, I see you meant only European languages.
chijz   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:52 pm GMT
The trend is to ditch colonial languages and reestablish national languages. Thus the future looks bright for Ibo, Eritrean, Etheopian, etc and dim for French, Spanish, English...
Etctero   Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am GMT
<<It's English that's is up and up in Mexico>>

lol. you silly dumbass.