three favourite languages

Tvrtko   Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
Heey Johanna, you vixen you, rrrrrrrrrr.
You know Montenegro has a coast too.
tvrtko23@hotmail.com
Guest   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 pm GMT
Greek (phonetics=Castilian) that's why. And the islands :D

I wonder why Mediterranean languages tend to sound similar.
Boris   Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:53 am GMT
Greek...? Are you crazy? Greek is the most horrible language on earth...llak...llak...llaka...llaka...llaka...kaka...kaka...kaka...taka...taka... Makapisu...takapisu...llaka...kaka...llaka...kaka... YAK!
Original Guest User   Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:32 am GMT
Polish is the language of gay musketeers. It downgrades any male speaker to a pink vase withing the first sentence. It's very sexy for Polish women though.
still me   Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:34 am GMT
mmmmm...Polish women...mmmmm
south   Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:19 pm GMT
Greek
Polish
Swedish
Elizabeth   Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm GMT
a) Spanish (american variants are so beautiful, argentinian, colombian, mexican and spanish of spain...).

b) Italian

c) Greek
Johanna   Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
hey tvrtko,

sorry, but i don't use my MSN very often, in fact, i never use it :(
I'm from Vienna. I'll go to Dubrovnik this summer for the first time and i'm sooooo excited. I've heard/read that the city is one of the most beautiful cities in the Mediterranean. Then I'll be close to you, right? Sorry, I don't really know your country, but I know Croatia by heart and i know it's near Dubrovnik :D

I hope I'll meet some interesting people there cuz I bought a Croatian course book and it's.... OH MY GOSH! those cases, accents, iregularities, i'll never learn that. :( :( :(
Parisien   Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
hope I'll meet some interesting people there cuz I bought a Croatian course book and it's.... OH MY GOSH! those cases, accents, iregularities, i'll never learn that. :( :(

Croatian is probably the easiest Slavonic language, at least its pronunciation..
patx   Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:50 am GMT
1) Lithuanian one of the most interesting languages for linguists

2) Italian musicial and melodious I love it

3) Basque a very peculiar language, it should be a must for every real
language lover
Johanna   Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
Parisien, i think you're wrong. Do you know its grammar, have you seen those cases..? I know that every single Slavonic language has 7 cases, except Bulgarian and Macedonian (which, by the way, in my point of view are the easiest), but Croatian has much more irregularities than, for example Russian and Czech.
Besides, all Slavonic languages are very easy to pronounce correctly because they have 1 accent and the place of it is regular (Czech/Slovak 1st syllable, Polish penultimate and so on...). Only Russian, Ukranian, Bulgarian don't have the rule for stressing, still, they've got only 1 accent.
On the other hand, Croatian has 4 accents and words change their meaning if you don't pronounce it right. (lȕk vs. lûk (onion vs. arch); spavàćica vs. spavàčica (pyjamas vs. a woman who sleeps; pȁs vs. pâs etc.....)

here are the croatian accents: â, á, à, ȁ. You can even stress R which is a semi vowel in Croatian. (vrt-->vȑt (garden), četvŕtak (Thursday))

The phonetics, that's why all the Slavs will tell you that Croatian and Serbian are the most melodic Slavic languages, because of their simplicity of their palatal system, only Č, Ć, Ž, Đ, Š, DŽ, NJ, LJ and that's it. Take a look at Polish/Czech for instance...

As for the verbs, all Slavonic languages don't have aorist/imperfekt/pluskvamperfekt/futur 1/futur 2/ kondicional 1/ kondicional 2 and so on...

hehehe, of course i didn't know all these words from above, i copied them from the book, but, i studied linguistics, so I know few things as well. Our lecturers told us here some things about Croatian and Serbian that are "a bit" different from the things you have said. Sorry, but I believe them because I learned it at the one of the most prestigious Universities in the world (i won't mention it here). It's well known ;-)

Pozdrav iz Beča (i believe it's correct), so Regards from Vienna!

P.S. I hope you'll see all those diacritics above written.
indeed   Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:41 pm GMT
Johanna, you're a Croatian in disguise! A very nationalist one I presume.
All nationalists think that their language is the nicest and the most difficult one............
adroit   Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:03 pm GMT
I know that every single Slavonic language has 7 cases, except Bulgarian and Macedonian

This is incorrect. First of all, Russian only retains 6 cases, it has lost the vocative. Secondly, it is true that Bulgarian and Macedonian no longer have the slavonic ancient cases, apart from some traces of vocative in Bulgarian. Anyway the Bulgarian verbal system is somehow the most complicated amongst the slavonic languages. It preserves all the tenses of the old slavic (used in everyday speech unlike Serbo-croatian) and it has even created new tenses not present in the other slavonic tongues.
just curious   Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
1) British English

2) Russian

3) Greek
:::::::::::   Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:05 pm GMT
I hate:
1.Italian
2.Hungarian
3.Arabic