Jasper, a question for u.

nick   Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 am GMT
I am doing the Shadow technique. you say a 30-minute material, and repeat it. Can I do an whole audio book? I mean I get bored when I repeat the same 30-minute material. I'd like to follow the reader to finish the whole audio book, of course, I will repeat the single sentence until I get the sentence. Maybe I will repeat the whole audio book when I finish it. Do you think that will make any difference?
Jasper   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 am GMT
Of course you can shadow an entire audio book---one sentence at a time. The main thing is that you need to make sure your pronunciation is a perfect match with each sentence, before you progress to the next sentence. (10-15 repetitions of each sentence is not too many times.)

Reading text along with a speaker is less effective because you would have to split your attention two ways: half reading, half shadowing. Correct shadowing is strictly an AURAL process.

Good luck to you. I'd love to hear about your progress. Give yourself time: it took tim to learn English; it will take time to learn to speak it correctly.
nick   Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:22 pm GMT
Thank you, Jasper. I find out I need to repeat around 10 times to have the perfect match with the reader, but now maybe I just need 5 times. I think that's a progress.
"Reading text along with a speaker is less effective", I don't understand "read along" mean? I think you mean I have to read it with the reader at the same time, not after him. That's what I am doing now. let me know If I am wrong. Thank you!
Jasper   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm GMT
Nick: no, no! Don't read. That splits your attention two ways: half of your brain is concentrating on reading, the other half on listening.

The method is most effective when you pay your entire attention to listening. Listen to each sentence a couple of times to learn its content, then shadow...
nick   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 am GMT
Don't read! But I can I remember the whole sentence, especially a long one. Maybe I can read it along with the speaker, and then close the book and speak along with the speaker. Is this ok?
nick   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 am GMT
sorry, I mean I cannot remember the whole sentence.
Jasper   Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 pm GMT
Nick, that approach might work. The essential point is that your entire attention needs to be directed at listening. If you read the target sentence first to memorize it, this goal will be reached.

Good luck to you, Nick. I remain interested in your progress.
nick   Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 am GMT
I tried speaking along with the speaker. It's more difficult for me. It took double times to make it than reading along with the speaker. If I have any question, I will be back. Or if I think I make it, I will post a sample. Let you guys judge it. Thank you!
jopat   Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 am GMT
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo