Quality of English Degrading?

eeuuian   Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 pm GMT
<<For some reason, the word "dialect" is commonly used to explain all other differences or changes in languages other than English, but we don't commonly use the word "dialect" to explain the changes occurring in the English language.??!! I wonder why?>>

In past threads, we've seen YouTube samples of English that are 98% to 99.9% unintelligible to many E1Lers. Gullah (98% unintelligible to me) and Scottish English (99.9%) are two examples. What are these mutually unintelligible types of English called, if they aren't true dialects.
planchette   Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:17 pm GMT
<Back in the day a highly educated person wouldn't be caught dead with an uneducated peasant or factory worker. They would never come in to contact at all.>

Not true.
manyyy   Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 am GMT
And what about the mixture of other languages with English?
Jago   Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:10 am GMT
Pyrhappes weye shoulde all retyrne to confercinge eyne Chaucers' Englyshe!
Amabo   Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
"Pyrhappes weye shoulde all retyrne to confercinge eyne Chaucers' Englyshe!"

Indeed.

The simple answer is: living languages change* over time.

* They neither "evolve" into something better nor do they "devolve" into something worse (these are purely subjective judgements).
Kate Blanc   Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
Formal English:

It is I.
Whom did you see?
Better than I.
I wish I were there.
I like dancing. -So, do I.
It's really good. Take it seriously.
How are you? -I'm well.

Casual English:

It's me.
Who did you see?
Better than me.
I wish I was there.
I like to dance. -Me too.
It's real good. Take it serious.
How are you? -I'm good.
Aidan McLaren   Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 am GMT
"English is not degrading. It is evolving, like Windows XP evolved into Windows Vista. No, wait. That was actually an example of degradation. LOL

Modern English, English 2.0, is totally rad, with lots of awesome words like dumbass. I love it. If you don't, then don't upgrade your version to English 2.0. You can still use your old English, because it's still supported, and it'll be supported until you die. Plus, for most applications, both versions are compatible.

Where's the problem? English is beautiful."

LOL XD Bloody hell, you're an idiot. Yes, that's right, I used some slang that wasn't American, you stupid twat.

Have you ever considered shutting your mouth? It'll do humanity some good.

We don't want that infectuous stupidity making humans even more unlikable.

You are not "cool"; you are not "bad-ass". Grow up.

Death to young people! I've had more than I can stand.
Entbark   Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
-----Quote: Amabo--------
The simple answer is: living languages change* over time.
* They neither "evolve" into something better nor do they "devolve" into something worse (these are purely subjective judgements).
----------------------------

The word "evolve" is not subjective, only your use of the word "better." To evolve is to gradually develop or change; so how that is any different than your definition?
Mdt   Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:33 pm GMT
I think there is a greater tendency to use slangy words now in place of more formal terms maybe because it makes the language sound informal and less distant. Like, as discussed in the other thread , Obama saying "I screwed up", instead of saying "I made a mistake" or "I was in error". There is an evolution towards informalness.
Johnny   Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm GMT
<<There is an evolution towards informalness.>>

Yes, I read somewhere that many businessman now prefer to have a more relaxed attitude, whether it's just an email or a meeting. In particular, I heard that RP is not recommended anymore to learners interested in the UK, and Estuary English or some kind of South Eastern accent might be a much better choice nowadays. So, less poshness and formality and more normality and neutrality in the way you speak. Drinking tea at 5 o'clock with your aristocratic buddies ain't cool no more.
And by the way, I'll just pretend I haven't seen Aidan's comments here. Peace, brothers!
Gramps   Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:25 pm GMT
>>>>I think it's a common phenomenon for people who are over 60 or so. In their opinion, everything in society is degrading. Young people just don't care, and love the word "dumbass" and to say "awesome". And if someone comes up and butchers the English language further, young people will take it as an awesome improvement to their slang.<<<<

Jokes on you. If you stick around long enough you'll be 60 complaining about young people, and they'll have a new slang about which you'll be gratefully clueless.

>>>>Most people just don't care. Only 0.2% of native speakers of English is really concerned about this "butchering". So, like, I like totally don't care! Whatever! Duh! LOL <<<<

Taken a survey have you? Statistical accuracy just popped into your little noggen? All you can guesstimate here is that YOUR aquaintances feel this way. But what do you know, ya young little whippersnapper! ;-)
tbd   Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm GMT
>>>>There is an evolution towards informalness. <<<<

Have you read John McWhorter's book "Doin' Our Own Thing, the degradation of language and why"? He expands on this thought. You might enjoy it.
Mdt   Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:12 pm GMT
Thanks. I'll take a look.
demon   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
Even on the news they have begun to use informal street language which really irritates me. They think they're clever to load the program up with cliches and gimmicks and pre-prepared witty remarks and fake little chic conversations between the presenters... Don't they know how pathetic it is?
Rofl   Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 am GMT
WOW, "dumbass" for the lose!!!