The role of mistakes in language learning

Robin Michael   Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:25 am GMT
The role of mistakes in Language Learning:

I am a 'Native Speaker' and my mother is a 'Native Speaker'. Quite often when I am in my mother's company she will 'correct' my English. I find this quite an annoying habit.

On one occasion when I used the 'F' word, my mother burst into tears.

I notice that my son (18) often makes mistakes in English. My father often mispronounces words that he has read; both are 'native speakers'.

(I have an ongoing dispute with them about the pronunciation of ‘blown it’. They like to say ‘blew it’ which sounds completely wrong to me.)

I am reasonably philosophical about my son making mistakes. I am hoping that he will go to University where I hope he will be exposed to a richer language environment than he is curently in.

I appreciate that people learning English find mistakes confusing. So for the benefit of ‘anti-moon readers’ I have used a Spell Checker before making this Post. It has picked up on the word ‘curently’ which should be spelt ‘currently’. Funnily enough, I did not need to use the Spell Checker to correct my spelling, once it (the Spell Checker) had told me that I had made a mistake.

Language: does not have ‘right answers’ like Maths. However I can quickly tell you when something does not sound right.

Go to:
http://www.antimoon.com/how/mistakes-in-learning.htm?ml
Physical damage   Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 pm GMT
You're a native speaker of what? English? I'm not feeling that from your post.
Entbark   Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:26 pm GMT
It would be "he blew it" or "he had blown it," but the second variant would be less commonly said.