How to pronounce months?

ES   Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:50 am GMT
I'm under the impression natives actually do not pronounce s, so their months just sound as same as how they say month. Is that correct? Thanks.
obama   Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:56 am GMT
I pronounce it differently. When I say "month" the TH is strong, whereas when I say "months" the TH kind of semi-disappears and the S takes precedence. I don't how to explain it properly though, so I'll leave it to Travis.
feati   Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:02 am GMT
Yes, the TH disappears (for most speakers) so that it's pronounced like "mon(t)s" (/mVn(t)s/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-sampa ). Same with "clothes", which is pronounced like "cloz" (/klouz/).
Caspian   Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am GMT
I pronounce all sounds in both of these words
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:53 pm GMT
Thete is no difference at all in my own pronunciation except for the addition of the plural "s".

I did have a German acquaintance who made both the singular and the plural sound exactly the same...both came out of his mouth as something like "munce", and his verbal "mouth" sounded more like "mouse", but apart from that tiny, quite endearing, failing his standard of spoken English was impeccable. He was a delightful guy all round.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm GMT
"There" - of course.
Travis   Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 am GMT
I would have to agree that it is extremely common in North American English dialects to have "months" pronounced as /ˈmʌnts/ or /ˈmʌns/.
KateBlanc   Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:41 am GMT
Why bother, when most foreigners will pronounce it [mants] anyway?