Is the Mandarin Chinese uniform everywhere?

Xie   Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 am GMT
You'd better act your own age, my last word.
Guest   Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:35 am GMT
<<How come China doesn't invade Taiwan? It seems ridiculous that people claim China to be a superpower and yet it cannot even retake a separatist region? >>

Taiwan is not separatist. They are the true Chinese Republic. Communist China are the separatists.
J.C.   Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 am GMT
Hey guys, this is a language-related forum. If you want to discuss politics you'd better exchange e-mails and argue until you get exhausted. How about we get back to the main topic? I was really enjoying Cheer's postings.
Anybody else could contribute to this thread? I would really like to know how differently Mandarin is spoken in other regions of China...

谢谢!!!
J.C.   Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 am GMT
"便当 biandang"
@ Cheer: When I heard this word in Taiwan I remembered the Japanese word 弁当(bento) right away. As for bus, I heard the word "basu" (Don't know the characters for that), which I think could be an influence from Japan.

Cheers!!!
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 am GMT
《《Xie Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 am GMT
You'd better act your own age, my last word.》》

Any separatist of China should take caution here!
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:08 am GMT
<<J.C. Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 am GMT
Hey guys, this is a language-related forum. If you want to discuss politics you'd better exchange e-mails and argue until you get exhausted. How about we get back to the main topic? I was really enjoying Cheer's postings.
Anybody else could contribute to this thread? I would really like to know how differently Mandarin is spoken in other regions of China...

谢谢!!!>>

Well, stop being naively assuming that language is an innocent object!
Language is simply inescapably linked with politics!

I hope this thread has driven home this point to you!
J.C.   Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 am GMT
"Well, stop being naively assuming that language is an innocent object!
Language is simply inescapably linked with politics! "
I don't agree with you. Language for me is just a tool for communication and I'm not interested in any other implications neither have an agenda. It's too bad the China doesn't recognize Taiwan's independence because I've been there once and it has nothing to do with China other than the fact that they once escaped from the ruthless Chinese government. About Taiwanese, I heard about Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and it has its own characteristics, which distinguishes it from the 闽南 dialects and 普通话. I have no problem accepting the word Taiwanese to describe the language spoken in Taiwan, even if that means that Taiwanese is a variation of the Minnan dialect.

You speech is similar to the settlers, who assume that the language spoken in the colonies(That's not the case of Taiwan, which has a very good economy and learned the goodness of freedom of speech and thought, which is something you don't seem to have) is inferior like the Portuguese saying that there's no "Brazilian Portuguese" and that Brazilians and the other former colonies should bow down to Portugal. Guess what, we are independent from Portugal a long time ago and speak in a way that everybody knows RIGHT AWAY that we are not Portuguese. That is our identity and no matter what Portugal says, that won't change. Why can't Taiwan enjoy the same privilege and freedom? Independence for Taiwan now!!If you have a problem with that just move on and grow up. I hate politics and have nothing else to tell you. Unless you stick with language-related topics don't expect an answer from me.

我愛臺灣因為臺灣很厲害!!
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:07 am GMT
《《《J.C. Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 am GMT
"Well, stop being naively assuming that language is an innocent object!
Language is simply inescapably linked with politics! "
I don't agree with you. Language for me is just a tool for communication and I'm not interested in any other implications neither have an agenda. It's too bad the China doesn't recognize Taiwan's independence because I've been there once and it has nothing to do with China other than the fact that they once escaped from the ruthless Chinese government. About Taiwanese, I heard about Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and it has its own characteristics, which distinguishes it from the 闽南 dialects and 普通话. I have no problem accepting the word Taiwanese to describe the language spoken in Taiwan, even if that means that Taiwanese is a variation of the Minnan dialect. 》》

You speech is similar to the settlers, who assume that the language spoken in the colonies(That's not the case of Taiwan, which has a very good economy and learned the goodness of freedom of speech and thought, which is something you don't seem to have) is inferior like the Portuguese saying that there's no "Brazilian Portuguese" and that Brazilians and the other former colonies should bow down to Portugal. Guess what, we are independent from Portugal a long time ago and speak in a way that everybody knows RIGHT AWAY that we are not Portuguese. That is our identity and no matter what Portugal says, that won't change. Why can't Taiwan enjoy the same privilege and freedom? Independence for Taiwan now!!If you have a problem with that just move on and grow up. I hate politics and have nothing else to tell you. Unless you stick with language-related topics don't expect an answer from me.

我愛臺灣因為臺灣很厲害!! 》》》》

Honestly speaking, I have much pity on you for your unbearbly superfical understanding of both language and politics!

I love Taiwan million times more than you do! or for that matter, millions of Chinese people also love OUR Taiwan incurably!

Stop dragging Brazil and Portugal into discussions on PR China-Taiwan relations! Your poor knowledge of history and freedom of speech is just amazing!
Power Play   Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53 am GMT
Shuimo you made me LOL
You make absolutely no argument in the last post. Just emotions and aggression. Pity, pity.
library   Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:31 pm GMT
The Chinese characters and its pronunciations in Peking, Canton, Amoy, and Shanghai.

A syllabic dictionary of the Chinese language :
arranged according to the Wu-fang Yuen Yin,
with the pronunciation of the characters
as heard in Peking, Canton, Amoy, and Shanghai (1889)
Author: Williams, S. Wells (Samuel Wells), 1812-1884
http://www.archive.org/details/wufangyuenyin00willrich
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 pm GMT
《《Power Play Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53 am GMT
Shuimo you made me LOL
You make absolutely no argument in the last post. Just emotions and aggression. Pity, pity.》》

Haven't I?
I feel no pity at all on guys like you idiots failing to understand my argument!
LivingStone   Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
''is inferior like the Portuguese saying that there's no "Brazilian Portuguese" and that Brazilians and the other former colonies should bow down to Portugal.''

In fact, many Portuguese refer to Brazilian Portuguese as ''brasileiro'' (Brazilian language) seeing it as a different language from Portuguese (and making it thus a part of three-system Galego--->portugues--->brasileiro,time and space continuum)
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
《《LivingStone Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
''is inferior like the Portuguese saying that there's no "Brazilian Portuguese" and that Brazilians and the other former colonies should bow down to Portugal.''

In fact, many Portuguese refer to Brazilian Portuguese as ''brasileiro'' (Brazilian language) seeing it as a different language from Portuguese (and making it thus a part of three-system Galego---> 》》

We don't care at all what you color Portuguese!
Power Play   Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
Shuimo
An argument of force instead of force of argument. LOL
You're pathetic and obviously wrong.
Shuimo   Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:37 pm GMT
《《Power Play Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
Shuimo
An argument of force instead of force of argument. LOL
You're pathetic and obviously wrong. 》》

Oh, truth seems to be in your hands alone! That is ridiculous!