English vs Swedish or Norwegian

just curious   Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:06 pm GMT
Are there any people, not native spekears, who have learnt both English and Swedish? (Norwegian) Which language is more difficult? As far as I know English is more complicated, at least its verbal system, it's got plenty of tenses. What about pronunciation, Is the Swedish pronunciation harder than the English one? I'm also acquainted that Swedish preserves the grammatical gender but the English vocabolary should be much richer?! Am I wrong?
PARISIEN   Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 pm GMT
J'ai été éduqué en français et j'ai appris l'allemand AVANT d'étudier l'anglais et le suédois.

Mon opinion :
- le vocabulaire suédois est plus simple, plus rationnel, plus intuitif que celui anglais,
- grammaire un tout petit peu plus complexe,
- prononciation plus facile et logique pour un niveau conversationnel courant (par contre, une parfaite prononciation académique requiert de maîtriser des subtilités peu évidentes). Quelques mots ont une prononciation illogique (comme en anglais), avec parfois des lettres finales omises (comme en français), mais ce sont des mots parmi les plus communs.
just curious   Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:00 pm GMT
merci pour ta réponse parigot :-)
Luke   Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 am GMT
I think it depends on your native language, if...for example, you are German, I think the vocabulary of Swedish would sound a bit more intuitive to you, while if you are Italian the English one will be easier, the reasons are the different influences the two languages had.
You shouldn't worry about the grammatical gender in Swedish, there are only two genders: a masculine-feminine one and a neuter one. And they are quite easy to remember.
The verb systems are really quite the same, with English only being slightly more complex.
And the pronunciation is not a big problem either, in this case I think Swedish is a bit harder, having some particular features that you would learn very quickly with a bit of experience.
Caspian   Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 am GMT
Si j'écoute quelqu'un en parlant le suédois, ça me semble qu'il chante - il y a de tons, je crois. Cette langue me semble différent de toutes les autres langues européennes. Est-ce qu'il y a de cas grammatiques comme en allemand?
Luke   Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
No, no grammatic cases, that's a very positive thing (I think).
And yes, Swedish and Norwegian are sometimes described as being tonal (although not in a strict way as Chinese is).
This derives from the fact that the simplification of the vocabulary from the old Norse lead to similarities between these new words and already existing words, so the only way to distinguish them was to give them a different tone, stressing either the first or the last syllable.
And yes, the other Scandinavian people say that the Swedes "sing" when they speak, simply because sentences are stressed in a different way than they are in other Indoeuropean languages.
jella   Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 pm GMT
Les italiens chantent aussi lorqu'ils parlent? n'est-ce pas vrai? Pourquoi ça?
Guest   Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:01 pm GMT
I think that it's due to so many double consonants. They are the responsible for such intonation.
12345   Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:37 pm GMT
«Luke Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 am GMT
I think it depends on your native language, if...for example, you are German, I think the vocabulary of Swedish would sound a bit more intuitive to you, while if you are Italian the English one will be easier, the reasons are the different influences the two languages had.
You shouldn't worry about the grammatical gender in Swedish, there are only two genders: a masculine-feminine one and a neuter one. And they are quite easy to remember.
The verb systems are really quite the same, with English only being slightly more complex.
And the pronunciation is not a big problem either, in this case I think Swedish is a bit harder, having some particular features that you would learn very quickly with a bit of experience.»

Since the football team I support has a lot of Swedes in their team they asked whether they found it easy to learn Dutch.

No that wasn't easy, as the system was completely different. There was one player however, who also learned German in the past who could use it within 6 months. The others weren't able to within a year. So I think German and Swedish aren't that similar.
Luke   Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:46 pm GMT
Well no...they are not so similar, but the vocabulary of Swedish is more related to German than to English.
Except this Swedish has very few features in common with German
(like the verb stays always in the second place, for example "yesterday I went...", in German "Gestern ging ich..." and Swedish "Igår gick jag..." etc.), but for the rest it has undergone to a high level of simplification similar to the one English had.
???   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 am GMT
Swedish has tones, doesn't it? That would be an added complication? But yes from what I know of the Scandinavian languages they seem slightly more complex grammatically, with gender and a few adjective endings retained plus one other past tense form of verbs. However I believe they have no present tense conjugations at all, which means learners are never going to make the 'classical' mistake in English of saying something like 'He want', plus I understand the tense/aspect system is simpler (The tense/aspect system in English is supposedly the richest out of the Germanic languages somewhat ironically). I don't know about vocab or pronounciation.
???   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:53 am GMT
>>That would be an added complication?<<

Sorry, no question mark intended here.
mallorqui   Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:33 pm GMT
tense/aspect system in English is supposedly the richest out of the Germanic languages

I agree, but I woudn't include icelandic verbs, they are highly inflected and conservative compared to other Germanic languages
anomy   Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:03 am GMT
The biggest difference between Swedish and German is pronunciation

For example, Germans and Swedes pronounce Göteborg and Igen differently. G pronounced as Y in Swedish but G in German.

"fick" means receive in past tense in Swedish but fuck in German.
Luke   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am GMT
Hahahaha!

Yes, you're right!

Well there are also other words with different meanings in Swedish-English:
for example "fart" = speed; "slut" = end; etc.