Hindi and Urdu

oddio   Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
Are there any differences between Urdu and Hindi grammatically or phonetically? Thanks.
Caspian   Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
Yes; they're two completely different languages.
oddio   Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 pm GMT
they're two completely different languages.

Are you sure. Which are the main differences?
dasdas   Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
I think they're dialects of the same language Hindustani, similar to Brazilian/European Portuguese.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm no expert.
J.C.   Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 am GMT
Sorry for posting about a topic I'm not sure about but as far as I know Hindi and Urdu are the same language with the exception that Hindi uses the Devanagari alphabet and Urdu uses the Arabic alphabet and is influenced by Arabic since it's spoken by Pakistanis after India split into Pakistan and India. Once I asked my boss if I could greet him with "Namaste" and he said NO because he's a muslim but of course he knows what that means.

Cheers!!!
SJF   Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:01 am GMT
grammatically same
phonetically a little bit diff.
Guest   Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:15 am GMT
Hindi and Urdu are fast becoming popular ain Spain and Hispanic America.
Guest   Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:20 am GMT
Hindi and Urdu are fast becoming popular in Spain and Hispanic America.
Caspian   Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
Sorry, I always assumed they were different - I've heard people say 'I know Hindi and Urdu'. I stand corrected!
Leasnam   Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
<<"Namaste" >>

I believe this is a Hindu/Buddhist religious greeting. So it's not a linguistic thing necessarily, but religious. I think it means "I bow in submission".

It's akin to saying "May the Lord God richly bless and keep you" to a professed atheist.
eastlander   Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:29 pm GMT
Hindi and Urdu are two forms of the same language .Urdu has more borrowings from Farsi and Arabic.
CommonAswhole   Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
Urdu is actually corrupted Hindi, isn't it?
SJF   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 am GMT
Urdu is not corrupted Hindi.
Actually it's still under controversy whether Urdu appeared before Hindi or after Hindi.
Some Marathi people told me that one of the main differences between Hindi and Marathi is that there are more Farsi and Arabic words in Hindi, like Urdu, while there are more Sanskrit words in Marathi language.
And I have ever read some easy Middle-Hindi poems, finding that there were many Farsi words in Middle-Hindi, while in old Hindi,the words were basically Sanskrit-original. So it's very hard to say Urdu and Hindi,which appeared earlier. But it's clear that none is corrupted.
Blanc le Blanc   Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm GMT
They are grammatically similar. A person who knows Hindi will understand Urdu and vice versa. Urdu uses lots of words borrowed from Farsi and Arabic, Hindi comes directly from Sanskrit. The scripts though are very different. In my opinion Urdu sounds very formal and slightly pretentious as they retain all the long Farsi words, while Hindi has modified and shortened most of the long Sanskrit words, making it sound more colloquial and informal.