possibility of / possibility to

Possibility   Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 am GMT
Common Learner Error of Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary says :

---
A 'possibility' is a chance that something may happen or be true. Possibility cannot be followed by and infinitive.

Is there a possibility of finding a cure for AIDS ? (O)
Is there a possibility to find a cure for AIDS? (X)
---

I agree that the first one sounds natural,
but don't understand why the second one is not acceptable.

Is it because it's not normal?
Otherwise, is it because of a change of meaning?
If so, what does the second one imply? <-- (This is what I'd like to know)
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:00 am GMT
I guess Cambridge just has a preference for "of" as the "correct" preposition but native speakers would use both phrases, anyway.
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:34 am GMT
You could say 'Is it possible to find a cure for AIDS?' or 'It is possible to find a cure for AIDS.' but not 'Is there a possibility to find a cure for AIDS.'

I'm not sure why this is, it might have something to do with the fact that 'possible' is an adjective and 'possibility' is a noun, but I don't know.
Lazar   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:40 am GMT
<<I guess Cambridge just has a preference for "of" as the "correct" preposition but native speakers would use both phrases, anyway.>>

You can't generalize. My own personal usage corresponds to the Cambridge Dictionary - "possibility of" sounds natural to me in this context, but "possibility to" sounds unnatural and I would never use it.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:46 am GMT
<<A 'possibility' is a chance that something may happen or be true. Possibility cannot be followed by and infinitive.>>

>>You could say 'Is it possible to find a cure for AIDS?' or 'It is possible to find a cure for AIDS.' but not 'Is there a possibility to find a cure for AIDS.'

I'm not sure why this is, it might have something to do with the fact that 'possible' is an adjective and 'possibility' is a noun, but I don't know.<<

But you can say "Is there a chance to ... ?"
Ad   Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
But you can say "Is there a chance to ... ?"

But I think in that instance "chance" would mean "oppurtunity" as:

"Is there a chance to seize the King?"

I think the reason "Is there a possibility to find a cure for AIDS?" is non-standard is because it because of the subtle ambiguity of the sentence when so-phrased. It could be taken to mean that you would need a possibility which would allow you to find a cure for AIDS, which is perfectly fine when speaking of "chance" or "oppurtunity"; but "possibility" in this sense isn't used enough for it to be acceptable (though I'm sure I've said it plenty of times). It isn't acceptable in the way that "possible to" is acceptable, because it qualifies the predicate "seize".

However, I would find this acceptable:

"Is there a possibility of their leaving so that we can seize the king?"