My accent

lubiea   Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:12 am GMT
i meant sexy voice lol
HelloWorld   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 am GMT
...What am I missing here, guys?
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 am GMT
HelloWorld, you have a good accent for a foreign speaker, but it's still pretty significant, so there's no way anyone can just point out one or two things and call it a day. Actually, the biggest thing is that you need to slow down and figure out where the stress falls in every word, what the natural rhythm of a sentence is, etc. Many of the sounds you're making actually sound pretty good, although it's a bit hard to tell at this rushed speed, but the rhythm/flow is way off. Then move on to vowel work.

Again, it's a great accent that's easy to understand, but it just doesn't sound native. There's a whole bunch of work to be done and, personally, I don't think that people pointing out a few issues from the recording is going to be enough to fix it.
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:56 am GMT
And by 'rushed speed' I mean not necessarily the overall speed of delivery, but the way you rush individual words ('numerous', 'condensation', for instance). Take your time. If you're going for an American accent, Americans tend to really linger on their vowels.
HelloWorld   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:13 am GMT
To T: Actually, I am reading many words in weak form.....but is there weak form in Amerian English? So, you think my major problem is the speed or rhythm?
Guest   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 am GMT
To my British ears it sounds like it has a lot of Canadian influence.
HelloWorld   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 am GMT
To Guest:
Aren't American and Canadian the same?
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 am GMT
In English, it's not as simple as that. Many common words have the equivalent of what you call a "weak form", but you can't just pronounce them any which way (it's an actual change in pronunciation - you don't just speed it up and make it quieter). And words blend together when you speak at a normal pace - but there are also specific rules for how and why (I mean 'rules' is a loose sense, of course - these are defined by usage, and native speakers use them without ever thinking about them, unlike some grammatical rules).

Some examples you certainly know are 'they are'->'they're' (pronounced the same as 'their'), 'we are'->'we're' , 'that will'-'that'll', etc. Others you may have to consciously learn - for instance, in words like 'because' every vowel becomes a schwa when you speak fast. Other very common examples include ' of '->' 'v ' (as in 'I haven't heard'v'that), 'to'-> ' t' ' (as in 'I want t'do that'). Though you have to be careful with the 'to' because it changes differently depending on context.

In other words, there's just no set rule that you can learn. There's a lot of detail to absorb. So to start with I would slow down and try not to just guess at it. If you don't know how to connect naturally, speak words clearly and separately - you'll still sound stilted and foreign, but people will understand you better. Then listen to movies or people around you and observe how the actors do what you call the "weak form" words (my accent coach called them 'trough words').
American   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:36 am GMT
>> To my British ears it sounds like it has a lot of Canadian influence <<

What kinds of things make it sound like a Canadian accent?
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:36 am GMT
Oh and absolutely most words in the sentence should be quieter/have less of a stress, and possibly be spoken quicker, than the main ones you're trying to emphasize. It's just that you don't want to lose correct stress patterns etc when you deemphasize them.
HelloWorld   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 am GMT
for > fer
to > tuh

Can I make equivalence for these words? Well, the major concern I have is the intonation.
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:45 am GMT
Not 'fer', but 'f schwa r' or actually even 'fr' (with no vowel in between). That's when you're speaking fast and not stressing the word.

'To' - in connected speech, when 'to' comes before a consonant, there pretty much is no vowel in the word. Maybe a tiny tiny schwa. 'I want't'do that'. 'I offer t'pay for that'. Etc etc. In addition to all that between vowels 't's typically become medial ds in AmE ('write it'='ride it'), and there's other usage pecularities for 'to'. I can't spell them all out here right now, but the basic point is, a lot of studying goes into acquiring an accent - unless you're very, very, very gifted.
HelloWorld   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:49 am GMT
Well, I started to focus my accent a year ago (I came to the States between 4 and 5 years ago). And this is what I get. Something frustrate me is the intonation and the manner of speech.
Guest   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:49 am GMT
Oops, I posted on the wrong "guess where I'm from".
Time to leave work I think!!
Brain's fried!
T   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:56 am GMT
Helloworld - I understand your pain. I was in your position (came to the States 5 years ago to study with a fairly strong accent). A few years ago I tried and tried to lose my accent, but I only made moderate progress. I started making massive progress only once I started working with a specialized coach. But, like you, I had this going for me: even before I started with the coach, my accent was perfectly understandable. Trust me, you've already done a lot of great, hard work. It's just that getting the rest of the way is very, very difficult.

That stuff in movies where they use American-born spies in foreign locations as if they spoke native German, Russian or whatever? I don't know if that actually happens, but I doubt it very much - I bet they always use someone who grew up speaking the language in question. Completely and consistently losing an accent is a lot of work, if it's possible at all.

That said, you can certainly improve a lot by working at it.

P.s. The actors in those movies always sound like Americans mangling a foreign language very badly. Where I come from, the whole movie theater would erupt in laughter whenever an American tried to speak Russian on screen ( and was supposed to pass for a native)