Getting Paid to Learn Languages

LL   Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:11 am GMT
It happens, you know, on occasion. Sometimes a company will send an employee to a language center to learn French if the company is going to do business in Canada.

I joked on another thread about being paid to learn Arabic. Actually, I think money is a great motivator to learn a language. What language would you learn if they PAID you to learn it?

I would try harder to learn Vietnamese and Korean. I am slightly acquainted with them, but I need more motivation.
J.C.   Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:24 am GMT
I really wished someone paid me for studying languages because I need a bigger motivation than just "increasing" the number of languages I know.
Right now I'm studying French, Dutch and Chinese but don't know how I'll use them living in Japan...I've heard that Mandarin is in demand in Brazil and that would be a big boost to study. Other than that it will be useless even if I become fluent...

You talked about Korean...Well, I studied for 1 years about 10 years ago and I could even use it here on Osaka since there are many Korean-Japanese here but the question is: Is it really useful to learn a language that you'll use just to talk to friends? I believe my biggest motivation learning Korean is that there are many christians in Korea so there's a lot of christian music I would like to listen. Also, I got 2 christian-related books I want to read...

Cheers!!
okos   Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 am GMT
Fortunately money is not all in my country as in the US, but If I had more time I'd learn Arabic, Basque and a Caucasian language, probably Georgian
hijodeputa   Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 am GMT
What about military translators. They get paid.
LL   Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 am GMT
<Is it really useful to learn a language that you'll use just to talk to friends? I believe my biggest motivation learning Korean is that there are many christians in Korea so there's a lot of christian music I would like to listen. Also, I got 2 christian-related books I want to read...>

Yes, I think having friends who speak the language are a great motivation if they don't mind you "practicing" on them. It also allows them to express themselves more freely by using their native language.
I hope you enjoy your books.

<Fortunately money is not all in my country as in the US, but If I had more time I'd learn Arabic, Basque and a Caucasian language, probably Georgian>

I hope you know that I am just having a bit of fun about the money part.
I don't know who paid for Mr. Tammet's learning adventure, but I think many of us would like to have a nice, hot spring-like vacation, with tasty
local cuisine, and a little intensive language-learning thrown in courtesy of a nice, sensitive teacher trying her best to see that we succeed!

I have to say that you have picked some interesting languages. Georgian script is quite beautiful, isn't it?

<What about military translators. They get paid.>

First, I do understand what your nick means, but you have a valid point and I considered this-but not for me. I don't think they have a picnic. Their training is very intensive and I don't know if they get to choose their language.
Guest   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:01 am GMT
@hijodeputa
¿Por qué no utilizas el idioma de tu madre para poner palabras malsonantes? El español es una lengua bella y se debe utilizar para escribir cosas bellas, por ejemplo acerca de hacer el amor en medio de la dehesa o cosas así. Para escribir cosas desagradables ya existe el inglés.
hijueputa   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 am GMT
<<@hijodeputa
¿Por qué no utilizas el idioma de tu madre para poner palabras malsonantes? El español es una lengua bella y se debe utilizar para escribir cosas bellas, por ejemplo acerca de hacer el amor en medio de la dehesa o cosas así. Para escribir cosas desagradables ya existe el inglés. >>

No me digas qué he de decir en español. Me parece que el español es el idioma más adecuado para describir ciertas cosas, como por ejemplo lo que hacía anoche frente mío tu madre. Pero no creo que te agradaría que te lo contara, pues aunque sí se trata de hacer el amor en medio de la dehesa, no me parece exactamente lo que tú considerarías una cosa bella.
Guest   Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:27 am GMT
Mi madre murió hace muchos años, idiota. Usa tu idioma o el inglés para escribir idioteces , eres un subdesarrollado.
J.C.   Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 am GMT
"Yes, I think having friends who speak the language are a great motivation if they don't mind you "practicing" on them. It also allows them to express themselves more freely by using their native language.
I hope you enjoy your books. "

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting. Actually my Korean friends at church feel very happy when they speak in Korean and sometimes want to say something they can't say in Japanese. I also remembered that there's a Chinese girl in my church but I guess she doesn't want to stand out too much.

More than MONEY to learn a language I want more TIME. After I started the debate on KoreanXJapanese my hands are scratching to study Korean again, which isn't difficult for people who know Japanese....

Cheers!!!
Caspian   Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm GMT
<< Para escribir cosas desagradables ya existe el inglés. >>

Good point! Or Russian...
hijueputa   Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:57 am GMT
<<,Mi madre murió hace muchos años, idiota. Usa tu idioma o el inglés para escribir idioteces , eres un subdesarrollado. >>

Entonces se tratará de una hermana o quizá un espectro. En todo caso, seguiré diciendo idioteces a menos que me cuentes por qué crees que no debería usar el español para hacerlo. ¿Es que eres un facha o algo así? ¿Crees que tu idioma es más adecuado que los demás?