Does English sound like other Germanic languages?

132   Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 am GMT
When i look a french and spanish i see english words. When i look a german i see. dir ldkf jfjej ndjd agith ldkf. wirtten it is not as close as english is to romance language. english started of germanic but has changed greatly and more rapidly over years not saying its not influenced by germanic languages still. only when french and spanish are spoken it is diffcult for a non spanish or french speaker to detect similaritys.
Quintus   Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:29 am GMT
Not all German speech or Germanic tongues are "harsh", J. K. That is a misconception.

There are many, many different-sounding dialects of German spoken, stretching from the Baltic Sea to the North of Italy, from Liechtenstein to Austria, and from the Rhineland to Pennsylvania.

Some dialects of German have gentle tones and accents mild, some are thornier than a Dürer woodcut.
Greenhaven   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 pm GMT
People with English accents are often confused for being from Denmark in Germany.
Greenhaven   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:36 pm GMT
They also saved hitler from the jews.
Leasnam   Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm GMT
<<Written wise its closer to french. and even spanish before any other Germanic language.>>

I agree with this statement somewhat.

English spelling *is* rather a mix, we show spelling conventions that are common to both native Germanic and Romance (for instance, the hard 'g' vs the soft 'g', a leaning towards compound vowel graphs (eg. 'ie', 'ea', 'oa', 'oo', etc.) to represent single vowels (usually long. This is also found in French), and the use of the bookstave 'k').

English words can be spelt selfsame to both Germanic and Romance words: English 'hand' = German 'Hand'; English 'nation' = French 'nation', etc., but the majority of times English will be spelt exactly like the Romance. So in writing, it will appear more akin to Romance. Until you hear it spoken. This written likeness is merely cosmetic though, and a modernisation of English spelling would swiftly fordo all trace of it.
Vinlander   Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 am GMT
vvv132 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 am GMT
When i look a french and spanish i see english words. When i look a german i see. dir ldkf jfjej ndjd agith ldkf. wirtten it is not as close as english is to romance language. english started of germanic but has changed greatly and more rapidly over years not saying its not influenced by germanic languages still. only when french and spanish are spoken it is diffcult for a non spanish or french speaker to detect similaritys.

The spelling of English is biased by latin monks. If english removed it's archaic spelling and was more phonetic it would look much more latinate. I made a thread about it in the winter. We take alot of our spelling conventions from latin based writing. For example we use C's where we should use Kan, Kamping, and kum look far more germanic than can camping and come.
Leasnam   Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm GMT
<<If english removed it's archaic spelling and was more phonetic it would look much more latinate.>>

For wis, you mean it would look more germanic...?
Franco   Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:05 am GMT
British English intonation sounds like Swedish at times.
kitty   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 am GMT
english is such a basterdized language stimming from French in the 14-15 hundreds and German in the following century and even some infulences form scandanavia and galic language that was spoken there first it is hard to say.
Lionnel   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:52 am GMT
kitty,

Really, I don't think it is, but this seems to be everyone's perception. Ask anyone in the world what the English language is and you oddly get the same answer--"it's a mutt, it's a montage of all other languages", and so on, but is this true? Does the English language deserve to be relegated to such a lowly station? I don't think so. I think English's reputation stems from bad propaganda. Take a fresh, unbiased look and you may see something you didn't expect :)
guess   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 pm GMT
If the question is if English "sounds germanic", yes of course it sounds germanic, because it IS germanic.

there is no reason why english sould sounds somehow different to its sister languages. Of course English, like any other germanic language has its own character. English does not sounds exactly like German does not mean that it does not "sounds germanic". German is not the unique way a germanic language should sound to be considered as such. Scandinavian languages sounds germanic as much as English does.
Vinlander   Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 am GMT
guess Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 pm GMT
If the question is if English "sounds germanic", yes of course it sounds germanic, because it IS germanic.

there is no reason why english sould sounds somehow different to its sister languages. Of course English, like any other germanic language has its own character. English does not sounds exactly like German does not mean that it does not "sounds germanic". German is not the unique way a germanic language should sound to be considered as such. Scandinavian languages sounds germanic as much as English does.

I think what people mean is that English strayed more from proto germanic than its cousins. So English does sound less germanic(protogermanic) because of latin and celtic influence.
Jack   Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:27 am GMT
I just listened to a Dutch speaker on You Tube. To me, Dutch sounds a lot like English. When I don't really pay attention to the content of what Dutch people are saying, parts of it really sound English to me until some clearly non-English consonants pop out of the person's mouth. Even German sounds a lot like English to me, though not to the extent of Dutch. Before, when I didn't speak any languages fluently but English, I don't remember feeling this way so could it be that the acquisition of the prosodic features and phonic features of Japanese has changed my psychological perception of other languages?

Romance languages still don't sound like English to me.
Jack   Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:32 am GMT
Sorry, I'm kind of out of it. I meant when I don't listen very carefully or when I don't try to concentrate on what they are saying, not "listen to the content of what Dutch people are saying."
www.jerseysexport.com Who   Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 am GMT
Welcome to our website:http://www.jerseysexport.com
NBA jersey suppler, throwback jerseys, customize nba jersey,nba replica jersey, nba apparel, nba clothing, basketball jerseys,nba swingman jerseys, replica nba jerseys, vintage nba jerseys,custom sports jerseys, wholesale replica jerseys, cheap jerseys, vintage jerseys,nba throwback, discount jerseys,reebok team jerseys,authentic jerseys,nba jordan jerseys,nba lakers bryant jerseys,top quality jerseys,nba legends jerseys, retro nba jerseys, nba team jerseys, nba playoff jersey.