Please suggest words from different languages....

Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 am GMT
Hello everyone. I had actually forgotten about this place for a few months, even though for a while I visited almost daily. I only now remembered becuase of my request. Skip the next two paragraphs if you want to immediately go to my request, but I reccomend reading them so you understand what this is about. :)

I am writing a scifi universe, novels + all the background stuff like culture, technology, spaceship designs, etc. There is a certain star system (which I will not name becuase none of this is ready for public release) which is quite the cultural center. It is where the alphabet that they use was created, the home of the organization that regulated the language, and a central place for history, tons of museums, and a place where one can learn and experience all the cultures that exist in the alliance. I don't have many details about it, but basically I expect it to be somethng like what Alexandria and Florence used to be.

There are about 14 planets in the star system, plus many more satellites. I've decided, that to reflect the significance and it's role, each planet is named using the name of the star as the root, and then a suffix being a word or derived from a word of a different language for each planet.

The words should also relate or can relate to the system's significance, knowledge, advancement, culture, etc. in some way. Here are what I have so far:

[star name] + reiga (queen, from reigna, regina; latin/spanish)
+ ren (your name, as part of spirit/soul, Egyptian)
+ oglu (son, Turkish) - I might change this, so you may suggest another, better Turkish word.
+ dynmes (from dunamis, power or force, Greek)
+ exousia (authority, Greek)
+ kyrios (master, Greek)
+ sangam (fusion, Hindi) - I need to know if it only means fusion, or if it really does mean fusion of thoughts, emotion, togetherness, etc.)
+ yong: (forever, permanence, Chinese)
+ ortus (birth, Latin)

So I need more words at least from French, 2 African Languages (hopefully 2 of the more common, widely used languages), at least one scandinavian, and russian. Please do feel free to suggest from other languages as well, especially if the language use is widespread, and is different enough from the languages i've already used (for example, no more romance/italic languages.)

thank you. :)
yeltsin   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:23 am GMT
How about the prefix 'Vladi' from Russian meaning 'ruler'. For example the Russian cities Vladivostok (ruler of the East) and Vladikavkaz (ruler of the Caucasus).
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 am GMT
thanks for the suggestion, but I have enough ruler/authority kind of words.

I learned something with that. :D

and a note to others, of course, suggest as many words as you want.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 am GMT
bump....

don't be shy, don't hold back.

If you can't think of anything you think may be good, just brainstorm and give a whole list. Don't ever forget the value of brainstorming. Even stupid stuff can spark other ideas!