Idioms in Informal Converstion

Marky   Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 am GMT
Are idioms more frequently used in informal conversation? Are there idioms that sounds strange or old-fashioned when used in informal conversation?
topman   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:41 am GMT
Some are, some aren't. Just like formal/informal words, you'll have to consider each one's usage separately.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:12 am GMT
Agreed. There are some that are fine in formal speech and writing, and some are informal. I'm sure that's true in just about any language.

However, I would agree that they could be more that are informal, partly because when you're writing, if it's factual, you want to be more specific and not fall back on idioms, expressions, sayings, etc. And in creative writing, you should be...well, creative in how you describe things. Not that these sorts of guidliness are always followed, though.

and yet, on the other hand....some idioms are quite generally accepted and easily understood, common in a way that they are not cliche, so those you may see all the time.
Marky   Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:58 pm GMT
Thanks! Uhm, I asked this question because in my native language, Filipino (based on Tagalog), idioms are more frequently used in formal speech. And, if it is used in casual conversation, it may sound queer or sometimes annoying.
Marky   Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:07 pm GMT
Uhm, we used idioms in formal speech but not slangs.
Johnny   Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 pm GMT
It depends what you mean by idioms. Everything can be an idiom. Generally speaking, I think in informal conversations you only find a few extremely common idioms, and often some slang.

- Is everything clear?
- As clear as mud. I think you put the cart before the horse. (Idioms)
More likely answers: No / I didn't understand a fucking thing / You just said a lot of bullshit, I don't get it / Etc.

But as topman said, it depends, and it varies from person to person. As a general suggestion, I would suggest avoiding any idioms (or vocabulary) you haven't heard too often and are not familiar with. Don't put the cart before the horse just for the sake of it. You might be better off without any carts or horses.
Amfibia   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm GMT
Is ''once in a blue moon'' formal or informal?
or ''nothing to write home about''?
or ''it comes close but no cigar''?
Runner   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 pm GMT
For reasons of clairty they are generally avoided in formal speech and writing, but you will find many common in informal conversation. There are many that are region specific as well.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
The way I understand it, anything that doesn't make perfect literal sense, is an idiom.

One example on wikipedia was "__ is up," as in "crime is up" or "sales are up." It's an idiom becuase, well, they're not really flying up in the air.

But yeah, it can be quite confusing, differentiating between idioms, sayings, slang, etc...
LL   Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:24 am GMT
That's a good question. I remember being asked to proof an application which included a perfectly awful idiom in light of today's sensitivies to issues. It came from a Japanese teacher of English. In "real" life he never said this kind of thing, but thought it was okay to include on an application. Some idioms should be learned, not used, and certainly not on an application.

An example: Sarah knows how to negotiate/bargain.
Bad example: Sarah can "jew" them down.

If this is too offensive, then mjd can remove it.
Marky   Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 am GMT
I'm interested in learning idioms but I'm confused because they are so many. And, I'm trying to learn them in a list of words and it was very tough. Can you give me some tips on how to study them?

I have another question. Are phrasal verbs considered as idioms?
Mistral   Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 am GMT
Idioms (or idiomatic expressions), can be either formal or informal, it depends on the idiom. Most dictionaries include the label ''formal'', ''informal'', ''spoken nonstandard'' etc., to guide you.
antifaz   Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am GMT
<<I'm interested in learning idioms but I'm confused because they are so many. And, I'm trying to learn them in a list of words and it was very tough. Can you give me some tips on how to study them?

I have another question. Are phrasal verbs considered as idioms? >>

I would not recommend using too many idioms in your speech unless you are experienced, and certainly don't learn them from a list. Idioms must be learnt in context to get a feel for them. Misuse of idioms or overuse can have quite a high cringe factor. By all means, use the common ones and learn passively the rarer ones. But don't go over the top and turn into an idiom machine that pumps them out like mad. It sounds bad enough when native speakers use too many (to each his own though, of course).

As for phrasal verbs, it depends I'd say. Some have obvious meanings like "take out = remove", but then the same phrasal verb it can also mean "to incapacitate" which is somewhat idiomatic.
Curupira   Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 pm GMT
It's better to opt for proverbs ;)
Prolunar   Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:40 pm GMT
"Idioms must be learnt in context to get a feel for them. Misuse of idioms or overuse can have quite a high cringe factor."

Reminds me of when someone said "I've worked like a log".