unisex

Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 am GMT
The bathroom for both sexes is called the unisex bathroom. But, doesn't the prefix "uni-" mean "one", so that would mean only one sex. How did this misnomer come about?
Jago   Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 am GMT
I havn't researched this but I think that it's a portmanteau of "universal" and "sex".
That's just my educated guess though.
Robin Michael   Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 am GMT
I visited my Aunt in Geneva who worked for the United Nations, and she was firmly of the opinion that 'Unisex' was an attempt by Homosexuals to take over the world.

Unisex is most often used in the context of Hairdressers, and it implies that both men and women can use the same Hairdressing Salon at the same time.

More traditional Hairdressers were either 'Ladies' or 'Gents' and they had a very different ambience or atmosphere.

(Something for the weekend Sir? (Durex / Condom) )
One   Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 am GMT
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 am GMT
Try "universal", or if that doesn't appeal - "united". No? Nor me either....I'll settle for "universal" if I was you.

As a member of the clan myself I have no inside information whatsoever about plans for us to "take over the world" by stealth or any other means whatsover. We're quite content to sit back and watch "straight" people carry on making a dog's dinner out of everything. Gorgeous place as it is, truly international, Geneve (Geneva) must be a hotbed of deluded people with very skewed thinking patterns.

We flew directly over Geneve(Geneva) on the way to Roma (Rome) - cloudless skies and a perfect view of the city, it's lake and that amazing fountain so clearly visible from the plane.

Here in the UK the word "unisex" immediately brings to mind duo gender hairdressing salons....I quite like them occasionally, and listening to ongoing and constant female gossip is quite a revelation at times. At least it makes a change from some old geezer banging on about football - but I prefer to go to my regular all male salon where the conversation while having your locks styled tends to be on a higher plane than Queen of the South or Rangers or Hamilton Accies (or Academical to the uninitiated).* But rugby is definitely more acceptable......a different matter altogether....I can talk rugby at any time...it never goes down well in unisex salons though.

*Scottish football teams.
br   Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:33 pm GMT
Here it's more associated with single occupancy restrooms.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:19 pm GMT
I'm a faggot.
Guest   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 pm GMT
That's gay.