pour vs give

D.L.   Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:32 am GMT
Hi,
I wonder if these are equally common
1. Shall I give you some tea?
2. Shall I pour you some tea?
Thanks.
American   Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:08 am GMT
Both are uncommon in the U.S. (with the exception of homosexual households)
Another Guest   Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:17 am GMT
"Give" is not generally used in this context. If you're hosting a dinner, beverages would be expected to be included, and would not be thought of as a "gift". If you give someone some tea with the expectation of them taking it home with them, rather than drinking it there, that would be different.
Robin Michael   Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 am GMT
Would like like some tea?

tea or coffee?

Can I pour you some tea? (if the tea has already been made and is in the pot)

Does it really matter!

Can I give you a biscuit?

Can I tempt you with cake?

(with the exception of homosexual households)

It is interesting to imagine that Gay people have an entirely different vocabulary and way of communicating. No doubt laced with hidden meanings and sexual innuendo.

I met a couple of Gay men from Arkansas in a restaurant in Barcelona. We chatted about Barrack Obama and they said that there were four nations in the US. I did not ask them what they were. But presumably their is a 'Gay' nation out there!
Uriel   Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 am GMT
No, no -- there are NINE nations in North America, according to the book. ;)
D.L.   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:02 am GMT
Wow, there's more to it than I expected.
Many thanks.
bubble   Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 pm GMT
I'm from the U.S.

For some reason, I would say "coffee or tea?" not "Tea or coffee?" but I don't suppose it matters.

Normally I would say "Want some tea?", "Do you want some tea?", or "Would you like some tea?" in ascending order of formality. I might also say "Would you like me to pour you some tea?" (or make or get, depending on whether I had already made it or not and if so whether or not I was holding the teapot at the moment)

The issue is that "shall" is rarely used nowadays, at least where I live, except in the expression "Shall we?" (as in "Shall we go?").

I don't know about homosexual households, but my general impression has been that even homosexuals who do talk somehow distinctively don't have a completely different vocabulary, just a few terms (such as jokingly calling their male friends 'girl' or 'girlfriend').
D.L.   Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 am GMT
<"Give" is not generally used in this context.>
On second thoughts, don’t you say
-I’m so thirsty, could you _give_ me something cold to drink/ some water/some tea?
The asker is not supposed to take it home, is he?
Or only “Can I have…”?