Were Celtic people closer to Germans or Latins?

Guest   Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
Germanic culture on the other hand was respected (see TacitusĀ“ "Germania" for example)

Tacitus was an exception among the Roman authors. The Romans didn't respect the Germanics, nor anybody aside from themselves and the Greeks.
Guest   Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 pm GMT
<,The Romans didn't respect the Germanics, nor anybody aside from themselves and the Greeks. >>

Who cares about the Romans anyways? Does anyone even repect those shitholes anymore???

moving on
Bob   Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 pm GMT
Genetically, the Celts are more closely related to the Germanic peoples.
Guest   Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am GMT
I doubt the Celts in Spain were more related to the Germanic people.
KLM   Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
Guest Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
Germanic culture on the other hand was respected (see TacitusĀ“ "Germania" for example)

Tacitus was an exception among the Roman authors. The Romans didn't respect the Germanics, nor anybody aside from themselves and the Greeks.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Roman ladies liked blond hair though, and Germanic gladiators and soldiers were highly respected. The live guards of the Roman emperors were always Germans.
Guest   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Roman ladies liked blond hair though

Well at some point having blond hair was synonymous with being prostitute in Rome. I don't think that the Roman ladies wanted to be taken as such.
MHM   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 pm GMT
The Roman ladies wanted to be taken BY such.
Guest   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 pm GMT
<<The Roman ladies wanted to be taken BY such. >>

and still DO apparently
!   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm GMT
Guest   Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:18 pm GMT
OK, I agree that Roman ladies liked to be prostitutes. See for example Caligula , the erotic movie.
Skippy   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:47 pm GMT
There are many linguistics who have hypothesized that proto-Germanic and proto-Italic were still the same language when proto-Celtic broke off, but if you're asking if Celtic is closer to Italic or Germanic, the current consensus is Italic (it's just that Italic is actually closer to Germanic, according to these individuals).

The Celtics were supposed to be tall, blue-eyed with brown hair; I imagine the German tribes the Romans came into contact with looked similar.