What accent is this?

Johnny   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:55 am GMT
What accent is this? I noticed the "ay" diphthong, and the way he says "flag". He says he's Italian but don't believe him, I don't think he is really a native Italian, although he might have moved there. After checking out the profile and noticing how he pronounces the diphthong in "now", "about", etc., I guess he must be Canadian. But it's a weird accent... Comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPjcCDfjbf8
upstater   Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:49 am GMT
It doesn't sound like any Canadians that I've ever heard. In fact, to me, it doesn't sound like any common native accent at all.
Pat   Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:58 am GMT
Pronouncing flag with a raised vowel is common in Canada, and the Northern and Northwestern US. I could only listen to the first part of the movie, and it was very hard to hear. Perhaps he is from somewhere in Eastern Canada?
Johnny   Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
I am sorry, I was wrong. It seems he's actually Italian, but he moved to Canada. He probably moved there when he was very young.

<<In fact, to me, it doesn't sound like any common native accent at all.>>

Yes, it's a curious one, that's why I asked here. Because while it doesn't sound like any common accents, it doesn't sound like a foreign accent either (at least to me, but remember I am not a native speaker). It has all the characteristics to be a native accent, yet some features are pretty curious. Other comments?
JT   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:32 pm GMT
His accent showcases some Irish characteristics, although it really isn't Irish. I suspect he's from Eastern Canada. A former teacher of mine is Canadian and his English sounds like him to a degree, but not that exotic. I asked him if he was from the east coast. Unfortunately I can't remember if he said he was or he had connections with Ireland.
Kess   Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 pm GMT
This is how Italian Canadians from Montreal speak English, they speak French with a General Canadian accent, but their English is very Italian-sounding. The same is true of Jewish Canadians from Montreal, they have their peculiar accent.