The position of Latin

Doubtee   Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:25 am GMT
When u learn Law, shall u need to learn Latin?
When u learn biology, shall u need to learn Latin?
When u learn math, shall u need to learn Latin?

I'm curious why there were so many scholars using Latin to publish out their books, but not using their country's official language? Were they not patriotic? Did they not love their country but only love Pope or ancient Roman emperors?
KLM   Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:55 am GMT
Since German Emperor Charles the Great introduced scolar system in Europe and reformed Latin and writing system, his system has been the fundament of European science until today, except that English has taken the place of Latin.
Skippy   Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:52 pm GMT
Depending on the field, however, Latin (and to a lesser extend Greek) are still widely used. Law school almost demands you study Latin (ex post facto, in re..., habeas corpus, etc.), whereas medical school would probably require at least a basic knowledge of Latin (rigor mortis, cura te ipsum, etc.) and Greek (-ectomy, -tomy, etc.).
Guest   Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:00 pm GMT
Speaking Latin was useful to impress my girlfriend.
roman   Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:03 pm GMT
Speaking latin is very useful if you are catholic priest
CID   Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 pm GMT
<<Depending on the field, however, Latin (and to a lesser extend Greek) are still widely used. Law school almost demands you study Latin (ex post facto, in re..., habeas corpus, etc.), whereas medical school would probably require at least a basic knowledge of Latin (rigor mortis, cura te ipsum, etc.) and Greek (-ectomy, -tomy, etc.). >>

One doesn't need to learn or speak Latin to be able to use terms such as "habeus corpus" etc unless it's specificall for a linguistic field of study where Latin is required haha.

Just learn the terms as you would any other technical or field specific term.

A learn in Latin will otherwise be a waste of your time
blanchette   Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
A learn in Latin will otherwise be a waste of your time

What a smart savant! IoI
Guest   Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm GMT
Why learning Latin when you can eat hamburguers until you explode or watch dumb Hollywood movies? It is a waste of time.
CID   Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
<<A learn in Latin will otherwise be a waste of your time

What a smart savant! IoI >>

Learning a defunct language to be an attorney is a waste of time, if you can't see that you're an idiot. You could be polishing up your knowledge of the legal system or of court cases which would be time better spent. Nerd.
Guest   Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm GMT
Do lawyers in USA study Roman Law?
rere   Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 am GMT
<<Depending on the field, however, Latin (and to a lesser extend Greek) are still widely used. Law school almost demands you study Latin (ex post facto, in re..., habeas corpus, etc.), whereas medical school would probably require at least a basic knowledge of Latin (rigor mortis, cura te ipsum, etc.) and Greek (-ectomy, -tomy, etc.). >>

That's called learning medicine, not learning Latin. You look them up in the glossary of your medical textbook if you don't know them.
Skippy   Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am GMT
<<Learning a defunct language to be an attorney is a waste of time, if you can't see that you're an idiot. You could be polishing up your knowledge of the legal system or of court cases which would be time better spent. Nerd. >>

You're probably right. However, this is a language forum, and most people on here are interested in learning other languages; Latin and Greek would be most helpful depending on certain fields though.

And the fact that you're on this site, I believe, qualifies you as a nerd as well :-D

Lawyers in the US typically don't study Civil Law (as opposed to Common Law; there is "civil law" within Common Law, but this refers to something different) which may be referred to as "Roman Law" or "Continental Law," but some do. In fact, LSU requires JD candidates to also qualify for a "Bachelor of Civil Law" because of Louisiana's joint Common and Civil Law system (same in Quebec, same in Scotland).

If lawyers in the US know much "Roman Law," it's very rudimentary, unless they decide to specialize in comparative law or, as mentioned, they attend LSU or one of the few law schools in Canada which offer this program.
Earle   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:14 am GMT
Although I happen to have had several years of high school Latin, it wasn't a help in law school, since the stock phrases are easily memorized. They are also horribly mispronounced by American lawyers. Most of us outside LA just regard LA law as "weird," Skip. BTW, do you post on Tigerforums as "Skippy3?"
Skippy   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:15 pm GMT
LA law is quite weird. I'm going to be doing Int'l/Comparative law, so I'll get to do some Civil Law type stuff.

I'm actually not a member of the TigerForums... I may be the only male at LSU who doesn't, but if I was a member I certainly would be Skippy something.
Original Guest User   Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:10 am GMT
In order to learn Latin you will need a blind date with a hairy Mexican rapist.