Which language has the MOST NATIVE Words?

Dee   Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 pm GMT
Which language has the most NATIVE Words (self-created) words by Percent?

I guess it's either Chinese or Arabic, for they seldom borrow words from other languages.

Language with the most 'imported words' are English and Japanese.
rep   Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm GMT
Icelandic.
miser   Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm GMT
Do creole languages count?
c'est vrai   Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 pm GMT
German is quite pure. I'd say. But Icelandic is realllllly pure.
Guest   Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:21 am GMT
<<Language with the most 'imported words' are English and Japanese. >>

Korean is less native than English is (60%+ Sino words). Vietnamese is as well (70%+).
Kahcten   Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:48 am GMT
English is less native

70% from French,the other, Latin,ancient Greek or Germanic...

So, English is the dialect of French language.
rep   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am GMT
French is dialect of Frankish.
roan   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 am GMT
Even Arabic and Chinese have plenty of loanwords. Perhaps the language of some tribe in the amazon rainforest that has remained completely isolated.
furrykef   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:10 am GMT
I think classifying a word as native or non-native is somewhat arbitrary, because words all ultimately come from somewhere.
Xie   Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am GMT
>>Even Arabic and Chinese have plenty of loanwords.

I don't think so. It may be true if you reveal the etymology of every word, but in *learning*, unfortunately, international words/loanwords in Chinese don't resemble anything like English/others at all. Japanese words might be easier, but not always.
Réponse   Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:36 am GMT
Icelandic, hands down.
--   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:34 pm GMT
<<German is quite pure. I'd say. But Icelandic is realllllly pure.>>

Though less "contaminated" than English, German is actually very far from being pure.
CommonAswhole   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 pm GMT
Faroese, what about Faroese?
CommonAswhole   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:58 pm GMT
I just read something:

At one point, the language spoken in the Faroe Islands was Old West Norse, which Norwegian settlers had brought with them during the time of the landnám that began in AD 825. However, many of the settlers weren't really Norwegians, but descendants of Norwegian settlers in the Irish Sea. In addition, native Norwegian settlers often married women from Norse Ireland, the Orkneys, or Shetlands before settling in the Faroe Islands and Iceland. As a result, Celtic languages influenced both Faroese and Icelandic. This may be why, for example, Faroese has two words for duck: dunna (from Gaelic tunnag) for a domestic duck, and ont (from Old Norse ǫnd) for a duck in general. (This example has been criticized, however, by people claiming that the word is derived from Old Norse dunna, from Proto-Germanic *dusnō.) There is also some debatable evidence of Celtic language place names in the Faroes: for example Mykines and Stóra & Lítla Dímun have been hypothesized to contain Celtic roots.
Other examples of early introduced words of Celtic origin are; "blak/blaðak" (buttermilk) Irish bláthach; "drunnur" (tail-piece of an animal) Irish dronn; "grúkur" (head, headhair) Irish gruaig; "lámur" (hand, paw) Irish lámh; "tarvur" (bull) Irish tarbh; and "ærgi" (pasture in the outfield) Irish áirge.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroese_language

I wonder how pure the Celtic language are. Irish Gaelic for instance, how pure is Irish Gaelic? Grammatically these Celtic languages seem to be one in a kind. I have read once that Gaelic and Welsh tend to be as hard as a Slavic language to learn for an anglophone, is that true?
CommonAswhole   Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm GMT
The Old Norse Vikings used to have Irish Gaelic slaves btw.