Egyptian Hieroglyphs???

Kelly87   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 pm GMT
1. How can you tell from looking at hieroglyphic writing whether it is to be read from right to left or from left to right?

2. The Egyptians used ideographs in the sentences as determinatives. What useful funtion do they serve?
right   Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:10 pm GMT
Kelly87
1. How can you tell from looking at hieroglyphic writing whether it is to be read from right to left or from left to right?

It may be from up to down, then from left colume to right colume.
right   Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:13 pm GMT
sorry,

It may be from up to down, then from "right colume" to "left colume".
PARISIEN   Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:39 pm GMT
>> 1. How can you tell from looking at hieroglyphic writing whether it is to be read from right to left or from left to right?

2. The Egyptians used ideographs in the sentences as determinatives. What useful funtion do they serve? <<

-- Certains hiéroglyphes égyptiens sont des idéogrammes (expriment des concepts), d'autres ont simplement valeur syllabique ou phonétique.
Un peu comme en Japonais. Si celui-ci était langue morte, si plus personne ne le parlait ou savait le lire, il faudrait un Champollion pour le déchiffrer.
K. T.   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:26 pm GMT
PARISIEN in English/Loose translation by me

Certain hieroglyphs are ideograms expressing concepts; others have a syllabic or phonetic value.

It's a little like in Japanese. If it were a dead language, no one know how to read or speak it. You'd need a Champollion* to decipher it.

*The man who deciphered hieroglyphs.

I'm not sure that I agree with this exactly, but you are welcome to dispute me. Kanji often has furigana (hiragana/katakana) to give the sound value, so the sounds wouldn't be unknown.
K. T.   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:30 pm GMT
Sorry, it should read: "no one would be able to speak it or know how to read it."
right   Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 am GMT
Kelly87,
> 2. The Egyptians used ideographs in the sentences as determinatives. What useful funtion do they serve?

In the Egyptian hieroglyphs there are syllabograms more than logograms. A syllabogram may be represent "two or more than two meanings", so there need an ideograph to act as determinative to distinguish the different meanings in the same syllabogram.

homograph: rest (rest of goods), rest (rest of people)
homonym: flour, flower

The useful funtion of Egyptians that used ideographs in the sentences as determinatives, which make the form of homographs to change and become in the form of homonyms. The homonyms let writers and readers of Egyptian hieroglyphs can be easy in communication.

Egyptian hieroglyph:
homograph + one ideograph = homonym
Bill   Fri May 08, 2009 3:00 am GMT
Egyptian hieroglyphs are more interesting than Chinese hieroglyphs.
Barry   Sat May 09, 2009 4:36 pm GMT
"Egyptian hieroglyphs are more interesting than Chinese hieroglyphs. "

Even the Egyptians knew hieroglyphs were obsolete 2000 yr ago....
right   Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:49 am GMT
> Bill Fri May 08, 2009 3:00 am GMT
> Egyptian hieroglyphs are more interesting than Chinese hieroglyphs.

The Egyptian hieroglyphs and Chinese hieroglyphs have the same rules of making characters and they also come from a same original archaic civilization.
Aldo   Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 am GMT
"1. How can you tell from looking at hieroglyphic writing whether it is to be read from right to left or from left to right? "

If the writing goes horizontally and the figures look to the left, the reading must go from left to right and vice-versa, no matter how many rows there are.

Let's imagine these letters are aegiptian symbols that look to the right:

O # P T C E C ==>

Then the reading goes from rigth to left: CECTP#O

If there are more than a row:

O # P T C E C ==>
L & $ W @ P I ==>

Then we have: CECTP#O IP@W$&L

If the writing goes in columns, the same aplies for the symbols and columns, from up to down.

L |XO ==>
&Y |#
$ |KP
W | T
@L | C
P |E
I |CM

We have then: OX#PKTCEMC LY&$WL@PI

And so on depending on direction.
K. T.   Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:53 pm GMT
Barack Obama (not making this up) saw a hieroglyph and said it looked like himself. He wasn't lying, but huh? What does the hieroglyph mean, if it is a hieroglyph?
K. T.   Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 pm GMT
"Barack Obama visits the Pyramids at Giza" Youtube

He interrupts the guide to point this out. Kind of funny.