"faggot"

Lazar   Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
How do you pronounce this word? I pronounce it [f{g@t], however I've heard people in the Northwest say [feIg@t].
Guest   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 pm GMT
You must hear that word many times , don't you?
Lazar   Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:51 am GMT
As usual: the above post was not written by me, and no further post in this thread will be written by me. (You can tell it's not me because I always mark stress in my transcriptions, and nowadays I generally use IPA.)
Aaron MacPherson   Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 am GMT
I pronounce it in the first way.
Passing by   Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 pm GMT
Hi
merc   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 am GMT
What is the origin of this word?
Damian London E14   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am GMT
"Faggot" originated from Old French, and perhaps before that from the Greek "phakelot".

The word "faggot" has three precise meanings:

1 A small bundle of sticks or twigs, bound together and used by fuel. Needless to say they are hardly ever used today as very few people have open fires in their homes.....cosy wee pubs in the countryside often have them roaring away on chill winter days though, adding to the cheery, welcoming atmosphere of your average UK country pub.

2 A similar bundle but this time of iron bars made into a box shape filled with metal scrap to me made into wrought iron.

and finally:

3 A rolled ball made up of chopped meat, usually of pork liver, bound up with onions, breadcrumbs, seasonings and a variety of herbs and eaten genty fried in a healthy oil, such as olive or sunflower.

Those are the three UK meanings of the word "faggot" - simply pronounced as "FAH-gutt".

Nothing else to report on this one from a British perspective. Over and out....coffee break over...back to the happy slog and loving it....off down to Reigate on an assignment this afternoon...in leafy Surrey. Faggots not on the luncheon menu though!
QueenMary   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:58 am GMT
Someone who eat faggots is an homophobe or not?
Robin Michael   Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
Damian is not be entirely complete on the British origins of the word 'faggot' which of course a lot of people find very offensive.

In British Public Schools (i.e. Private Schools) there was a system of fags or fagging, in which young boys would do the bidding of older boys.

I am surprised that Damian did not mention that cigarettes are often called fags, which is clearly a reference to a small twig etc.

Fagging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

I wonder if the Welsh Rugby Team would be happy to have displayed on their shirts "Brains Faggots".

In England, the word "fag" became slang for a wearisome chore. quote

Roald Dahl relates in his autobiography being told, as a fag, to warm toilet seats for older boys at Repton.