Right word?

Choose   Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:34 am GMT
"The maximum speed on the company facilities and camps is 40 kph unless otherwise posted."
Do you see anything wrong with this instruction?
Particularly, I am not too fond of the world 'facilities.' I think it should be replaced by 'premises.'
==================
facility

noun
1. a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry; "the assembly plant is an enormous facility"
2. skillful performance or ability without difficulty; "his quick adeptness was a product of good design"; "he was famous for his facility as an archer" [syn: adeptness]
3. a natural effortlessness; "they conversed with great facility"; "a happy readiness of conversation"--Jane Austen
4. something designed and created to serve a particular function and to afford a particular convenience or service; "catering facilities"; "toilet facilities"; "educational facilities"
5. a service that an organization or a piece of equipment offers you; "a cell phone with internet facility"
Robin Michael   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:41 am GMT
facilities seems OK for me

"building or place"
Rusty   Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:55 am GMT
The whole sentence seems pretty awkwardly constructed, but I think "facilities" is okay: the company's "facilities" could include the roads you're taking. Think the confusing bit is "on" rather than "in" ... which makes it sound like you're driving on a rooftop or something.

Not like I'd rather drive "in" a facility, though.

"Premises." "Premises" = good. :)
Choose   Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:23 am GMT
Thanks guys.
Still tho, how can you drive in or even on a building or a place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry?
Vic   Tue May 12, 2009 10:09 pm GMT
Premises or property is a better word than facilities in this case.
tbd   Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm GMT
I agree with Vic --

The maximum allowed on company property is 40kph .......