Get myself confused by English grammar

simon   Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 am GMT
Friends, can you please kindly advise if the meanning of these two sentences are different? If so, what's the difference?

Susan asked why the fridge was broken again by the worker.

Susan asked why the worker broke the fridge again.

Please also speak out if you have other comments on my command of English!
a demotivator   Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 am GMT
Don't ask random grammatical questions!

Your attempt to discuss semantic differences is too pathetic to be ridiculed. Sure there's a difference, though the sentences convey the same idea. In the first sentence Susan is asking why *the fridge was broken*; in the second sentence Susan is asking why *the worker broke the fridge*. Susan is asking why the fridge is something and Susan is asking why the worker did something. The difference is in the point of view. (This may be hard for you to understand, but if you keep trying you may (or may not) eventually understand it some day. The passive voice really isn't difficult for normal people.)

Overall your English is awkward, but it's just perfect for you and your stupid questions.
MrPedantic   Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 am GMT
Hello Simon,

Your command of English looks very promising, on the available evidence.

One small thing: you would say "if the meanings...are different", i.e. with the plural form of "meaning".

On the question of the difference between the two sentences: the second puts more focus on the worker's part in the event.

(Passive versions of sentences tend to put less emphasis on the agent of the action. In most cases, the equivalent of your "by the worker" clause is omitted.)

Best wishes,

MrP
Robin Michael   Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 am GMT
I agree with Mr P, your question is worth asking.

<<<Friends, can you please kindly advise if the meanning of these two sentences are different? If so, what's the difference? >>>

Friends, Romans, Countrymen; Can you please advise me on the difference in meaning between these two sentences?

There is a difference in word order. In the first sentence the emphasis is on the broken fridge.

Why has the fridge been broken again?

In the second sentence, the emphasis is on the worker.

Why has the worker broken the fridge, again?

Poets, play with different and unconventional word orders, to encourage their readers to see the world in a different and unconventional way.

David Bowie

The man who sold the world

We passed upon the stair,we spoke of what and when
Although I wasn't there,you said I was a friend
Which came as some surprise I spoke into your eyes
I thought you died alone,a long long time ago
Oh no,not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World
I laughed and shook his hand,and made my way back home
I searched for form and land,for years and years I
roamed
I gazed a gazley stare at all the millions here
We must have died along,a long long time ago
Who knows? not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the Man who Sold the World

So who is the man who sold the world?

Jesus, sold the world to the Devil. The human race instead of being saved, were sold.

"We must have died along,a long long time ago"

Jesus died for our sins -

I thought you died alone,a long long time ago
Oh no,not me

So Jesus did not die - instead he sold the world!
Devil   Wed May 06, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
a demotivator

Your demotivation job was truly bad. You should not demotivate any longer. Find another profession.
simon   Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 am GMT
Thanks MrPedantic and Robin Michael!

Yeah, it looks to me this way of asking the question is more straightforward and it shows more mature in use of English!

"Can you please advise me on the difference in meaning between these two sentences?"

And the crucial point to me is clear now!
1st
Why has the fridge been broken again?
2nd
Why has the worker broken the fridge, again?

As a non-native English speaker, I am sometimes unaware that the meaning is falsified by the way I construct the sentence.
Paul   Thu May 07, 2009 2:35 am GMT
They mean two different things, and the placement of "again" makes the difference.

1) The worker broke the fridge more than once.

2) Susan asked the question more than once.
Robin Michael   Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 am GMT

The meaning of these two sentences is very similar. There is a slight difference in emphasis.

Someone wants to say something.

They start off with a thought.

Then they try to express that thought.

So, what is the original thought?

"The fridge is broken again"

or

"What is wrong with the worker?"

So, depending on the original thought, the sentence will come out slightly differently. However, in both cases, the overall meaning is the same.

At the end of the day, the person has two options.

To fix the fridge

To do something about the worker.

That is why there is a slight difference in emphasis between the two sentences.

What are we going to do about the fridge?

What are we going to do about the worker?

So, the context in which the sentence appears is all important. What are the sentences or actions, before and afterwards?

Is Susan an important or an unimportant person?
olàlà   Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 am GMT
Overall your English is awkward, but it's just perfect for you and your stupid questions.

We are all awaiting your command of Simon's native language for your stupid questions. Oh wait! You can't even ask your stupid questions in his language!
Robin Michael   Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm GMT
Dear Olala / "a demotivator"

What is the point of being unpleasant and negative?

If people are trying to learn English, then you should be encouraging and motivating. In a language class, even the mildest rebuke can be very upsetting. Language is something that people are very sensitive about.

(Practice makes perfect - nobody starts off being perfect.

Have you thought of singing lessons?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVCq4hzfK1o)

The other more general point that I wanted to make, is that grammar is much more important in written English than in spoken English. In spoken English, if something is ambiguous or confusing, the other person can ask for clarification. That is simply not possible with written English.

So, anyone writing something, should get it spell / grammar checked. They should try re-reading it, just to see how it comes across to other people. Another useful exercise, is to re-read something, after an interval of time.

To give an example of spoken English:

"The report should be handed in next Monday." "Is that this coming Monday, or the Monday following?"

In written English, one would probably just write a date, Monday 11 May 2009. Of course, if someone makes a mistake in the written date, then that can cause confusion.
a demotivator   Thu May 07, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
"You can't even ask your stupid questions in his language!"

That's right. I don't even know what his first language is! I can't ask questions if I don't know what language I should use. Hopefully that's not too difficult for your so-called comprehension.

Simon asked for our comments on his command of English, and I told him my opinion. You didn't. I even answered his question. You didn't. You just tried to attack me. What a pathetic attempt that was! (And what a pathetic being you are!)
Devil   Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 pm GMT
a demotivator

Is Jasper your worldly name?
Robin Michael   Thu May 07, 2009 9:19 pm GMT
Nobody likes unpleasantness!

"Does my bum look big in this?"

What *is* the right answer??

Is there a right answer or are we chaps simply doomed?

One of the greatest female sartorial dilemmas - 'does my bum look big in this?' - is to be answered by a team of researchers

news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/200806413485763
a demotivator   Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Robin Michael
How do I demotivate you?
Robin Michael   Fri May 08, 2009 12:30 am GMT
I know you are trying.

Why not write a post about something that you find interesting?

Like:

Selection tests should remove students who will not benefit from being taught a foreign language.

or:

Don't even try to learn anything, you are too stupid!