"What kind of pictures he take?" - omitting 'did'

ESB   Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 am GMT
Question for native speakers of American English... (American only)

In quick informal speech, we sometimes omit the action verb "did" in the interest of time and speed. But which forms are allowable, and which sound strange and foreign to native speakers? If they sound strange, how should they be changed?

I have the following list of phrases I wanted to ask about:

- "What kind of pictures he take?"
- "Anybody here see that movie?"
- "How long ago he get married?"
- "When (d'?) both of you do that?"
- "When (d'?) he do that?"

Now I know that sometime we add a quick "d'" after a question word, as in "What'd you do last weekend?". But in the sentences above, that's not possible. (Also, would we add it if the word was a "When"?)

Anyway, in these more complicated/shortened examples above, we have some more words that don't allow a quick "d" to be inserted.

Finally, suppose we have a sentence that begins with "Did he." Again, in very informal quick American speech, how would we pronounce that? "Da'hee tell you about that"? or really "did he"?
upstater   Mon May 11, 2009 12:41 am GMT
<<"Anybody here see that movie?">>

You hear this now and then.
upstater   Mon May 11, 2009 12:42 am GMT
<<"Anybody here see that movie?">>

You hear this now and then.
ESB   Mon May 11, 2009 2:32 am GMT
how about all the other ones? do you hear those as well?

and more: "You get pulled over last night?"
upstater   Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 am GMT
<<"You get pulled over last night?" >

Sounds OK, too.

The others are more questionable.
rapp   Tue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
In my speech and experience:

- "What kind of pictures he take?"

Unacceptable. Gotta say "did he take".

- "Anybody here see that movie?"

Acceptable. I personally switch between the full "did anybody..." and "d'anybody...".

- "How long ago he get married?"

Unacceptable.

- "When (d'?) both of you do that?"

Gotta have the "did" or 'd. Personally, as a Southerner, I'd say "When'd y'all do that?"

- "When (d'?) he do that?"

Gotta have the "did" or 'd.
Vic   Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
In general, if you are dropping the "Did" from the beginning of the question, you'll probably be okay. It's generally unacceptable to drop it from the interior of the sentence.
ESB   Wed May 13, 2009 1:12 am GMT
thanks a lot for these clarifications.
Uriel   Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 am GMT
Although it really can be reduced to the point where you can barely hear it.
Entbark   Thu May 14, 2009 9:01 am GMT
@rapp: It's informal, not unacceptable. How is omitting "did" any worse than saying "gotta"?
rapp   Thu May 14, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
@entbark: I did hedge my message with "in my experience". And in my experience, it would be considered a mistake to omit the "did". Maybe in other areas it is different, but in my region it is often shortened to 'd, but never left out completely.

And I would consider using that 'd contraction as in "What kind of pictures'd he take?" to be analogous to my use of "gotta". Both are informal contractions. My leaving out "you" as the subject of the sentence is more analogous to leaving "did" out completely, except that I often hear one of those and never hear the other.
Entbark   Fri May 15, 2009 11:18 am GMT
It would be considered a mistake by the variant of [written] English most commonly taught in schools, yes. Your examples were of informal, spoken English. The reason I felt compelled to question you was because how strict and rigid you sounded when denouncing the deletion of a word in informal, spoken English while using a contraction in the same sentence.

Another reason it's interesting is because other languages would omit "did" anyway, past versions of English included.