Anglosphere

2928   Sun May 24, 2009 1:51 pm GMT
Is there any British or Anglo-American influence in Quebec? It sounds like an interesting place to go. Do French people feel right at home when they go to Quebec, in the same way that Canadian Anglophones and Americans feel when visiting the UK or Ireland? How does it seem to people from Britain? Is it more like visiting France, or is it more like visiting Anglo-America but with everyone speaking a foreign language? Which seems more foreign for British people, France or Quebec?
frenchfromfrance   Sun May 24, 2009 2:56 pm GMT
Do French people feel right at home when they go to Quebec, in the same way that Canadian Anglophones and Americans feel when visiting the UK or Ireland?

No, even if they speak french, they're different. I think they're more open than us. France is more conservatrive.
frenchfromfrance   Sun May 24, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
Does the average person from Québec speak better English than the average French person?

I think they speak better English than us but they're more protective with french language than french in France, in Belgium and Switzerland.
They really seem to hate english words. But in same time, they surrounded with english speaking people. I understand them.
exkingstonian   Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
<<There's also a Kingston in Washington state as well. >>

There must be Kingstons everywhere. Ontario, New York (Kingston-upon-Hudson?).

http://www.kingston-ny.gov/content/102/108/default.aspx
Jasper   Sun May 24, 2009 5:26 pm GMT
"Is the British way of doing things predominant in the US?--I would say yes as well. Very strongly, especially in the North East and among the upper class practically everywhere. This trickles down to the rest of us. The way we behave in public, our manners and mannerisms, expressions are all tied to British and English upper class. "

I don't think I can agree with this statement.

While we do inherit some of the customs of the English, I believe that, by and large, our customs reflect more of a German influence than an English one. It's too complex a situation to get into here, but I base my opinion on the actions of European immigrants: The German immigrants seem to assimilate very well, indeed, when they come here, while the English seem to have the absolute hardest time adapting, more than citizens of any other country.

I remember reading the statement of one upper-class Englishman: "The idea of privacy is a middle-class institution." By contrast, Germans are some of the most private people on the Earth. This is to quote just one example of a culture barrier.

I realize my perceptions are completely subjective, and welcome other comments on the matter.

As for the Filipinos? I've met many in my lifetime; every single one of them spoke English fluently. I think they can safely be called "Anglophone".
A.Concetto   Sun May 24, 2009 5:52 pm GMT
while the English seem to have the absolute hardest time adapting, more than citizens of any other country.

Of course they're racist, arrogant and think they're the best. They look down to everybody and fart higher than their ass because english is the new lingua franca. They think we learn it because we love them, lol, they don't know how much we despise them because they're not able to understand something else that their nosy shitty language.

Fuck England!
Hoo   Sun May 24, 2009 6:03 pm GMT
Wow, I'd hate to meet most of you guys in person. I've never in my life run across people as mean as you in real life in any country I've ever been to. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I hope you don't act and talk like that in real life. I guess forums are a pretty stupid way of learning about other countries. Since there's a little bit of anonymity, people feel free to insult others and exaggerate and lie.
a corrector   Sun May 24, 2009 6:10 pm GMT
A little bit of anonymity?
Jasper   Sun May 24, 2009 6:20 pm GMT
Damian, I've noticed throughout that you're referred to the UK in general, rather than the subgroups of English, Scottish, etc., specifically.

The truth is that we perceive each of those nationalities quite differently. For my own part, I don't think the English and the Scots have very much in common—if my experiences with immigrants are of any indication.

Briefly? Scots are warm and the English are cold. ;-)
;-)   Sun May 24, 2009 6:23 pm GMT
Are you hitting on him?
Robin Michael   Sun May 24, 2009 6:27 pm GMT
Dear Hoo

I agree with you, some people do seem to get carried away.

I was thinking of writing a post under this heading under the name of
"Colonel R M Blimp" and make some comment about Japan belonging to the Anglosphere because they drive their cars on the correct side of the road.

Another comment by Colonel Blimp would be on the Sterling area.

------------Sterling circulated in much of the British Empire.----------

<<Sterling is the third-largest reserve currency, after the US dollar and the euro.[3] The pound sterling is the fourth-most-traded currency in the foreign exchange market after the US dollar, the euro, and the Japanese yen. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, £100 0s 0d from 1966 is worth
£1,341.29 using the retail price index.
£2,727.46 using average earnings.

http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/
Travis   Sun May 24, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
>>
"Is the British way of doing things predominant in the US?--I would say yes as well. Very strongly, especially in the North East and among the upper class practically everywhere. This trickles down to the rest of us. The way we behave in public, our manners and mannerisms, expressions are all tied to British and English upper class. "

I don't think I can agree with this statement.

While we do inherit some of the customs of the English, I believe that, by and large, our customs reflect more of a German influence than an English one. It's too complex a situation to get into here, but I base my opinion on the actions of European immigrants: The German immigrants seem to assimilate very well, indeed, when they come here, while the English seem to have the absolute hardest time adapting, more than citizens of any other country.

I remember reading the statement of one upper-class Englishman: "The idea of privacy is a middle-class institution." By contrast, Germans are some of the most private people on the Earth. This is to quote just one example of a culture barrier.

I realize my perceptions are completely subjective, and welcome other comments on the matter.<<

That's the thing - I myself have found practically all the German people that I have known in Real Life to be quite un-foreign in Real Life aside from the fact that they spoke English with some degree of a German accent; if it were not for that, you would not be able to tell that they were not from here (aside from some of their personal histories, which I will not get into here). On the other hand, everything I have seen of English people makes them seem no less foreign than any other western or northern Europeans overall aside from the fact that they natively speak English. I had always somewhat dismissed this as an artifact of being from the Upper Midwest myself, but maybe others elsewhere have the same perceptions as well then.
yiddish   Sun May 24, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
The most "English" countries are the ones where rugby is popular. Also, cricket, but not the sub-continent.
rugby   Sun May 24, 2009 8:57 pm GMT
The most "English" countries are the ones where rugby is popular

That means England, Wales, Scotland, Eire, France, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina,...
9371   Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
I think that it has to do with the German accent which is reminiscent of RP, which makes them seem British or really upper class Americans.