I've not vs I haven't

Jimmy   Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am GMT
It's the kind of paperback writers' prose you read at airports or train stations and forget aftwerwards. I read a few of these sagas ages ago. There comes the rich cousin from New York for "the season" and everybody is delighted until they are taken aback when she opens her mouth and the twang starts flowing out.

She's obviously ravishing and well-mannered and there's always an earl around in need of beauty and funds.

On the other other of the pond the family is obviously delighted because "the trip went so well" if only a bit sad because they won't have her around but delighted at the thought of a grand son with a title.
Rene   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:17 pm GMT
Jimmy: You mean like the dime a dozen romance novels where the girl always gets either a duke or an earl, but never a marquis, knight, or other titled aristocrat?

I have an English friend with an ultra posh RP accent who has spent way too much time in California and now punctuates his sentences with "dude", which I have to admit is kind of charming and kind of funny.
Jimmy   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
Rene:

Duke it the umost in European aristocracy -bellow the King or Queen- and Earl would be the lowest (Baron in continental Europe) if I' not mistaken since I've forgotten a lot on the Gotha. After all, Queen Elisabeth II is married to the Duke of Edinburgh! Her huband could never be lower than that! Even her daughters in law (ex) are duchesses!

Except for king, queen, prince and princess.

Call them a shilling (a dime) a dozen novels but that's right. You've got it! The kind of novel you take to the beach and leave behind for the nice old lady with the hat and chair to read.

-- It's very nice reading I've just finished it.
-- How nice of you!

I could never say "dude" but I still say "bloke" or "guys" once in a while although I don't leave in Britain any longer but on the Spanish Mediterranean costas where there are as many Brits as Spaniards around.
live   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
>> I could never say "dude" but I still say"bloke" or "guys" once in a while although I don't leave in Britain any onger but on the Spanish Mediterranean costas where there are as many Brits as Spaniards around <<

>> leave in <<

Yes. I can tell that you "leave" in Spain, because no English person would confuse "leave" with live.
Jimmy   Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 pm GMT
You are right. I've lived many years in Britain and my father was English and my mother Spanish. I obviously speak as much Spanish as English. Too bad my vowels are getting too long. I hadn't realised but you're definitely right. I'm shocked myself!
Jim   Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:47 am GMT
I'm from New Zealand. Mostly we follow British English rather than American, but I have noticed English immigrants in NZ using "I've not" and it always sounds odd to me, I would use "I haven't" exclusively.
DJ49   Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 am GMT
I have a friend who always says "I've not", and it just sounds weird to me. It sounds very old-fashioned like it's from the 19th century. We are the same age, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. He also says "I shall" instead of "I will". It drives me crazy!