Satem language vs Centum language?

Neo-linguist   Mon May 18, 2009 7:38 am GMT
Which of the following Indo European languages are Satem languages and which of them are Centum languages?

Armenian
Albanian
Germanic
Hellenic
Baltic

I'm pretty positive that Romance and Celtic are Centum while Slavic and Indo-Iranian are Satem.
Skippy   Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
Hellenic are Centum, Baltic are Satem... I think Armenian and Albanian are Satem as well...

Germanic is a little more complicated... It's almost always grouped with the Centum languages, though there's a smaller number of linguists that think this is because Germanic is simply "non-Satem" than Centum.
Guest   Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
What are the differences between both groups?
Leasnam   Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
<<Germanic is a little more complicated... It's almost always grouped with the Centum languages, though there's a smaller number of linguists that think this is because Germanic is simply "non-Satem" than Centum. >>

Yes, based on the roots for Germanic *hwai ("who") and *hunth ("hundred"). Germanic languages are an enigma, because they show both Satem and Centum tendencies (i.e. Germanic consonants that do not fit the usual pattern of shift from IE: OE lacu, OGH lacha "lake" alongside OE lagu "lake, sea", OE sucan & sugan "suck"; Germanic *up "up, out" where it should be *uf, etc.). Some attribute this to contact with purely Satem languages like Baltic/Slavic.

<<What are the differences between both groups? >>

Mainly, the difference between the development of PIE variants of *k (labiovelars, velars, and palatovelars).
Neo-linguist   Tue May 19, 2009 3:35 am GMT
<<What are the differences between both groups?>>
Simply, they are divided by how they say the number 100 in their languages - whether it is closer to Satem or Centum.

For further information, you may want to check this article below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centum-Satem_isogloss
rep   Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 am GMT
Satem or Centum?

German -Hundert
West Frisian -Hûndert
English -Hundred
Dutch -Honderd
Swedish -Hundrade
Danish -Hundrede
Norwegian -Hundre
Luxemburgish -Honnert
Neo-linguist   Tue May 19, 2009 10:47 am GMT
In terms of referring to the number 100, Germanic languages are tricky to classify. Germanic languages are generally classified as Centum but it's probably because they are non-Satem.
Leasnam   Tue May 19, 2009 3:06 pm GMT
<<Satem or Centum?

German -Hundert
West Frisian -Hûndert
English -Hundred
Dutch -Honderd
Swedish -Hundrade
Danish -Hundrede
Norwegian -Hundre
Luxemburgish -Honnert >>

Clearly, based only on the information above, Germanic is Centum. Here's why:

In Common Proto Germanic, the initial H- we see above was a guttural H / X\ / , which developed from the same 'k' sound in "centum". So Germanic here represents a Centum that has later modified the sound, no different than the way most Romance languages today that have turned Latin front c (orig a "k" sound) into a silibant (c > "ch" sound > "tz" sound > s)
george   Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm GMT
"Latin front c (orig a "k" sound)"

Are you sure? I believe we don't know what the sound was.
Leasnam   Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 pm GMT
<<"Latin front c (orig a "k" sound)"

Are you sure? I believe we don't know what the sound was. >>

I meant 'c' before a front vowel, sorry.

Well, there is no indication why the Romans would use the same initial bookstaff for 'centum' that they used for 'canis' were the two sounds not selfsame.

Later in time, undoubtedly, this 'c' before front vowel was palatized to a 'ch' sound like we still hear in Italian, but I have no doubt in Old Latin and much of Classical Latin it was largely a "k".

Interchange with 'g' also seems to support this.
Leasnam   Tue May 19, 2009 5:19 pm GMT
<<no different than the way most Romance languages today >>

also, george, the hard "k" sound was preserved in some Italic dialects, like Sardninian (eg. 'kentu' = centum, hundred; dèke = decem, ten; etc), so this gives us a clue as to how the original letter was outspoken.

the development of hard 'c' to "ch" to "tz" to "s" is paralleled with other hard consonants like 'g' ('g' > "j" sound > "zh" sound, etc)