Scripts/Writing

K. T.   Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:21 pm GMT
We often discuss how a language sounds, but how about how a language looks? What writing systems do you like?
englishmen   Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
portuguese--definitely the prettiest..with all those diacritics aaaah :)
then French because it's cool how they write.

Slavonic and Scandinavian languages are nice too
Albert   Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:36 pm GMT
Yeah Portuguese is cool with all the "ç" "õ" "ã" "ˆ" etc..
re-search   Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 pm GMT
Browse the links under "Alphabets and other writing systems" at:
http://www.omniglot.com
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 pm GMT
omniglot is a cool site, and it even includes made up languages like LOTR languages (fictional languages are in their own site of course).

You speak of portugueses but there are many other languages that use the Latin alphabet with lots of diacritics. And you're still talking about only Latin alphabet...that's hardly another writing system.

Chinese have their ideograms, arabic is an abjad, Japanese have kanas which are syllabaries, Indian languages like Gujarati, Hindi, lots of them are also syllabaries, Cherokee also uses a syllabary, Russia and many east european / west asian countries use some variant of Cyrillic alphabet, Korean hangul is an alphabet, but arranged in a compact way so it looks like an ideogram, and many african countries also use syllabaries while some are alphabets.

Visually, I like what Indians use, the Devanagri writing system, and I like Japanese, even though I think it looks TOTALLY messed up using everything from kanji, to kanas, to Latin alphabet, so you can have anything from really complex-looking chinese characters to, to blocky characters, cursive characters, and characters that are drawn with only one or two lines.
aesthete   Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 am GMT
I always liked the look of written German. Not too many accent marks -- just a few unlauts here and there. Lots of unexpected h's and ue's, etc.

Dutch is nice, too, with lots of z's, ij's and ijk's, aa's, and not many accent marks to spoil things.

Latin is also nice, with it's lack of accent maeks.
Commonaswhole   Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 am GMT
I like Finish, with its apparent overflow of vowels, umlauts and long words.