verb and particle switching roles

Mufti   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
<To Mufti

Where is 'offed' in your example? >

>>you know someone is about to be offed when they all of a sudden get a melancholic scene of domestic bliss where they are telling their wife/girlfriend/family how much they love them." >>

http://www.lumieredoor.com/underbelly-like-neighbours-but-with-guns/
Nancy   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 pm GMT
The point that I made earlier applies; this is an unusual example from slang (poor English).

!! I hope you're not serious. Slang is poor English?
Mufti   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
<The words used in these languages are not recognised by speakers of International English. That is not to say that they do not exist somewhere in the world. >

International English is also a dialect/socio-lect.
Mufti   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:16 pm GMT
<<Why are you so defensive, just because you don't know the word doesn't mean it doesn't exist. >>

I suspect that's it. Robin mouthed off a bit and denied the existence of a word which is actually found in dictionaries and is not marked as obsolete- Now he is trying to cover his tracks.
MrPedantic   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm GMT
I want to say that there is a person going round this forum impersonating me. I do not troll and do not believe there are sock puppets here. Please, whoever you are, please stop using my name.
MrPedantic   Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
<<<It's a pleasure to read your posts>>

I sense MrP regretting what he wrote. <

I am, in a way. I think Robin's gone a bit awry on all this.
Robin Michael   Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 am GMT
Who would have guessed that a Topic on "verb and particle switching roles," would have caused so much interest?

I am prepared to concede that I might be wrong. If you want we could open up another Topic:

Is slang poor English?

Mufti - Mufti army:

Mufti (dress) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mufti, or civies/civvies (short for "civilian attire"), refers to ordinary clothes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mufti_(dress)

Bye for now
MrPedantic   Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:38 am GMT
The last two posts under my name will no doubt turn out to have the same IP as a certain contributor from Bilbao. (The "awry" in the second post is something of a giveaway.)

Last post from me in this thread. (Over to you, MollyB.)

MrP
MrPedantic   Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 am GMT
<Who would have guessed that a Topic on "verb and particle switching roles," would have caused so much interest? >

Who would've guessed you'd be so antagonistic towards it?
MrPedantic   Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:25 am GMT
<The last two posts under my name will no doubt turn...>

There he/she goes again. Please stop using my name!
MrPedantic   Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:15 am GMT
<I am prepared to concede that I might be wrong. If you want we could open up another Topic:

Is slang poor English? >

We could, but what do you mean by "poor English", Robin?
Nancy   Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:18 am GMT
Is "concede ... + wrong" good English? Shouldn't one just say "I am prepared to concede"?
MickeyC   Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
MollyB, Pam, Mufti, Nancy, Dan, xBix, Guests in MollyB threads, some of these MrPedantics, and many others in MollyB's threads are all the same person.
Hardly anyone cares about your questions anymore because of your insolence, so you have to rely on your pitiful sock puppets. How pathetic. What do you gain from these threads? Why do you waste so much time?
Seriously, you need to get a fucking life.
MrPedantic   Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 pm GMT
MikeyC wrote:

<MollyB, Pam, Mufti, Nancy, Dan, xBix, Guests in MollyB threads, some of these MrPedantics, and many others in MollyB's threads are all the same person...>

Yes; cf.

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t8013-0.htm

for some of his earlier sock puppets ( Bridget / M56 / Pos / Position ).

MrP
MrPedantic   Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 am GMT
<for some of his earlier sock puppets ( Bridget ...>

Enough is enough! Apologise for accusing those people of treachery. And stop using my name!