How is my Spanish?

Anatue   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
I am girl from Ukraine. I read and think in Spanish. Please tell me if I sound like native.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Uly2Fx0mg
Guest   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
You have strong accent.
Anatue   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
I dont.
Guest   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
For example you distinguish V and B. Native Spanish speakers don't.
K. T.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
Actually some native Spanish speakers do. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I have heard several that do, including one in my family.
Guest   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
Some native Spanish speakers pronounce R's like the French do, so what? If you do obviously you will not sound like a native.
K. T.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
I don't think the OP sounds native either, but that's not what jumped out at me.

I have heard "v" and "b" distinctions on recordings, and with individual speakers. I have even heard "h" (among people from Panama and Puerto Rico) on certain words "Rio Hato" and "Hermanos".

I talked to the person in my family who makes the distinction and it may be that she was taught this in school, but she was quite sure that she does this.

Of course, many people do not make a clear distinction.
Anyway   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 pm GMT
Accents often develop by foreigners adopting a language. As long as you attain a certain fluency accents don't matter. Though it's cool being able to mask your own accent. ^^
K. T.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:09 pm GMT
Good point. I think one of the higher levels of acheivement is having an accent, but one that isn't distinctive. At least they won't yell "Gringo" or "Gringita" at you, lol.
Gringo   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
what is she saying
Gringo   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:47 pm GMT
Holy shit, look at the other videos of the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkoeKYeJD_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWlSG0Bw3E

What an accomplished young lady!
Guest   Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
B/V distinction, appart from not being native, is simply wrong according to RAE. People who pronounce V like in English when speaking Spanish have learned it at school, it's not native in any Spanish dialect.
Jef   Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 pm GMT
1. Learn how to use articles in English.

2. I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, but I can tell that you have a strong accent, but I was able to understand a lot of what you said.
K. T.   Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm GMT
"B/V distinction, appart from not being native, is simply wrong according to RAE. People who pronounce V like in English when speaking Spanish have learned it at school, it's not native in any Spanish dialect."

I see your point, however I am not going to correct native speakers who do this.
El Tullido   Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 pm GMT
<<I see your point, however I am not going to correct native speakers who do this. >>

Maybe some native speakers do it, but it's not the kind of thing a foreigner could get away with. For example, consider how in some dialects of English the 'r' is rolled. For them it is natural. However a foreigner who rolls their 'r' will never sound anything at all like those native speakers who roll their 'r'. There are a thousand other areas of discrepancy that give them away at once. You would have to study this specific dialect in detail and not only learn to roll your 'r' like they do, but to make every other part of your speech the same as theirs also, a very difficult thing to do.
So if a Spanish learner wants to pronounce 'v' and 'b' differently, it is not a matter of just pronouncing them differently, you also must study all other aspects of the speech of the people who speak in this way and make your accent correspond to theirs in ALL aspects, otherwise it will be a dead give away.