AAE and Southern American English

Kitsch   Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:13 am GMT
I’m not sure how entirely appropriate this question is for this forum, but there seems to be a lot of people with a really great grasp on American English dialects and variations who might be able to shed some light on this particular subject.

I’ve been researching (as clichéd as this will sound) for a writing project to be set during the Great Migration (where African Americans had a mass exodus from the southern states to the rest of the U.S. from about 1915 to the 1920s) and have been curious as to exactly what sort of speech patterns these people would have.

I’d assume that most African Americans at this time and location would speak a sort of hybrid between today’s African-American English and Southern American English, but would that be right? I know that the two have split very much in the last century, but (aside from the African and various pidgin influences) didn’t AAE stem largely from Southern American dialects spoken by Caucasian southerners?

I’ve been reading everything from Mark Twain to the Invisible Man for good examples of dialogue for Southern African Americans in the first half of the twentieth century. As far as I can tell, this seems to just about be the case, structurally, though there are specific vocabulary thrown in as well. Just wanted to see what other people thought about the subject.

Also, just to throw it out there, does anyone happen to know what typical terms an African American from this time period would use to refer to his or her mother, father, grandmother, grandfather and any other type of family member? Mama seems to be a relatively universally accepted term for all English speakers, but would a father be called Papa, Daddy, or something else entirely?

I’ve read places where “Madea” or “Madear” is supposed to be a “traditional term for grandmother,” but is this a fairly recent slang term? I know traditionally, white southern family patricarchs and matriarchs (grandparents) are commonly called Big Mama and Big Daddy. Was this used by African American families too? Also, if I’m not mistake, the word “Auntie” in subtext can be a term of familiarity used with women regardless of actual relation. Is there a differentiation between an Auntie and an actual aunt?

Anyhow, like I said, I just thought I’d give this a try on this forum as everyone seems so resourceful and to know they’re stuff about American dialects. Any input would be great.
Robin Michael   Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:19 pm GMT
Hi

I have posted a Topic in antimoon - Google: mary phagan leo frank

I saw an interesting film on television, "The Murder of Mary Phagan" (1988). The film is about a murder, trial and lynching. In the Court case various witnesses spoke and their statements were recorded. I should say that the Court case was in Atlanta in 1913. At one point, the Court case hung on the wording of a note, whether could have been written by a black man or a white man.

There is a lot of documentation available surrounding this Court case. The black man went to the toilet at the bottom of a lift shaft. Another critical aspect of the case was whether or not his faeces were squashed by the lift - had the lift been used or not? All fascinating stuff.

http://judicial-inc.biz/MiscPics.htm

"Frank then had Conley write the notes found near the body, apparently in an attempt to incriminate Newt Lee."

http://judicial-inc.biz/Miiisc_Leo_Frank_Commutation_pleas.htm#Murder%20notes

Mam that negro hire down here did this i went to make water and he push me doun that hole a long negro black that hoo it was long sleam tall negro i wright while play with me.
He said he wood love me and land doun play like night witch did it but that long tall black negro did buy his slef.

The note written by James Conley or dictated Leo Frank and written by James Conley, was meant to look like a note written by Mary Phagan, who had been murdered, accusing Newt Lee of being the murder.

"i went to make water" - to take a leak, have a pee, urinate

"he wood love me" - he would love me - have sex with me

"that long tall black negro did buy his slef." - that long tall black negro did this by himself - Lee Newt murdered Mary on his own.

"play like night witch" - to play the night witch - to kill a child.

"Mam" - Mother

Mary Phagan came from a 'Cracker' family - poor whites - who were used to cracking the bull whip over the blacks.

Google: mary phagan leo frank
Jasper   Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:41 pm GMT
Kitsch, I grew up in the 1970s in the South. While I cannot answer your question in detail, I can definitively assert that while AAVE and SAE do have some similarities, we could tell, in the first few words or so, if a voice on the telephone was black or white...
Poor white   Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:53 pm GMT
Do you mean 'voice' as in 'black sound of the voice' or do you mean 'different kind of words' or 'different accent'?
Uriel   Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:09 pm GMT
It's a combination of the voice quality itself (sometimes, but not always, of course), and certain particulars of intonation and delivery. And the more you're around it, the better you are at picking it out.
Uriel   Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:14 am GMT
RM, "cracker" is still used to refer to whites, especially by blacks. It has roughly the same derogatory sense as "nigger". However, whites in Georgia still use it to refer to themselves as a nickname - Georgia crackers. But otherwise its an epithet much like "honky" (which is now outdated slang).