Finnish language origins and Saami people

minstrel   Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:02 pm GMT
> Sigh Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:06 pm GMT
Please stop
This is beyond ridiculous <

I believe that in the English speaking world every person enjoy the right of speech freedom, although some speech may be felt beyond ridiculous by somebody.

This thread is discuss the "origins"; "Finnish language origins and Saami people". Therefore, any person can compare Finnish with any other language to find which "origins".
minstrel   Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:51 am GMT
< Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:56 pm GMT
No argument can be adequately given to substantiate a Hungarian-Hokkienese affinity.
Any proposed relationship would more likely be involving pure coincidence than actual historical fact. >

In the Western world, there are only some Western missionaries knowing Hokkienese and who published a lot of Hokkienese version of Bible, religious books, dictionaries, textbooks, grammars, etc., before 1950s. The missionaries don't care about the linguistic matters.

Because the Hokkienese is definded as a dialect of Chinese and Mandarin is definded as the standard form of Chinese after 1950s. Thus, the Western scholars don't care and don't know this so-called dialect. And so, no arguments can be given to it.

If no any written materials kept in the world that don't proved there are "pure coincidence" between in them. The "actual historical fact" may be happen in ancient time before 3000 to 4500 years ago.

In the ancient time, the tribes or a small group of people can move from one place to another place depenting on their will; from Africa to Asia, from Asia to Europe or America. So, a same ancestral language may be carry to different continents.

The relationship between Finnish, Magyar and Hokkienese are all the words about the living of "hunting society" mostly.
suomalainen   Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:35 am GMT
Dear Meus,

Finnish and Saami languages are not mutually intelligible. When I first heard Saami, I thought what an odd language: sounds like Finnish but nothing can be understood. When I now speak myself Saami, I feel as if I spoke my mother tongue with different words, a sort of disguised Finnish (of course, there are many differences even in grammar). The distance between Finnish and Saami is much bigger than the distance between Finnish and Estonian, but not at all as big as the distance between Finnish and Hungarian. There are rather many old common words in Finnish and Saami but because of sound changes (mainly vowel changes in Saami and consonant changes in Finnish) one usually canĀ“t recognize even these words in free speech. The numerous loan words from Finnish to Saami are sometimes easier to detect.